Inventor IdeaStation
Share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team.
26 Kudos
FProcp

Dimension round off to nearest 10mm or nearest 20mm, etc

by Distinguished Contributor FProcp on ‎11-12-2013 09:06 PM

Sometimes we don't need dimensions to the nearest millimeter. We should be able to round off to the nearest 5mm or nearest 10mm or whatever is required.

Dimension_round_off.JPG

Comments
by Distinguished Contributor FProcp on ‎11-12-2013 09:35 PM

A draftsperson should NEVER over-ride a dimesnion.

We have people here at my work over-riding dimensions to round them off.

by Distinguished Contributor duncan on ‎11-13-2013 05:04 AM

It would also be helpful to round-off to the nearest 5, 0.5, 0.005 etc

Sheetmetal work is rarely measured to anything smaller than 0.5mm as that is the smallest increment on an engineering rule.

Furthermore, 2.5, 0.25 and 0.025 etc are also helpful as some older title blocks and company standards use the accuracy of measurement to define the general tolerance

For exmaple

DIMENSIONS TO THE NEAREST

10mm = ±2mm

5mm = ±0.5mm

1mm = ±0.1mm

0.5mm = ±0.05mm

0.25mm = ±0.001mm

Above might not be a very good example as it was rushed, but it is a demonstration of how is works.

by jbennett_pc on ‎11-13-2013 05:54 AM

A more simple approach on the programming side might be to expand the "Precision" dropdowns to include "10", "100", "1000" on the topside of "0".  Might be able to include "5", "50", or "0.5" and "0.05" to get dimensions to the nearest half.

by *Expert Elite* on ‎11-15-2013 09:57 AM

Why not edit the model dim to be what you want?  It seems very dangerous to have a difference between what is displayed on the print and what is modeled in the 3D file.

I don't see the advantage of false dims on the print.

by Distinguished Contributor FProcp on ‎11-15-2013 02:54 PM

Why not show all dimensions to full nine decimal places?

Do a web search on the term significant figures of a number.

It's the digits that carry meaning contributing to its precision.

In many cases too much accuracy is a waste of time and is unnecessary.

That's why we can choose how many decimal places we want to show.

It all depends on the situation. Is it a precise tolerance engine component or something much less accurate.

It's very common in structural drawings to round off dimensions to the nearest 5mm.

The fabricators are NOT going to measure the steel members to the nearest millimetre.

So it's a waste of time showing it.

by kevinb on ‎11-22-2013 10:34 AM

Can't the drawing be switched to display in meters/centimeters?  Wouldn't rounding remove the significant figure aspect since it's going to maintain all the digits until it hits the 1 column?  I agree it's a good idea, but I don't think significant figures is a valid argument for it.

by shreeASC on ‎12-05-2013 10:44 AM

So i see the discussion point and agree with a comment that "It's very common in structural drawings to round off dimensions to the nearest 5mm." So how to round up to nearest 5 mm?? 

I have been trying this but havent figured it out yet. Any help would be great!

by Valued Contributor lesmfunk on ‎10-03-2014 07:48 AM

Thought I'd give this idea a bump. Cable and Harness, or Tube and Pipe (Hoses) would make good use of this option. The nearest 10mm would be ideal. 0.01 meters is too cumbersome and nobody uses centimeters.

In response to swalton, try to get your wire or hose to be exactly 3450 mm. It is near impossible unless you want to work at it for 3 hours. Especially when you want five wires to the nearest 10 mm but changing one affects the rest of them. And, in regard to "false dims", show me a true dim. There is no such thing since there will always be rounding to some precision. We just want better control of the precision.

Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

New Idea
You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea.

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube