Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different Materials for Each Solid Bodies

Different Materials for Each Solid Bodies

Maybe this has already been proposed as an idea, but I did not find it.  I know in Solidworks, you can assign a different material to each solid body.

It is time this became a reality with in Inventor.

For accurate multi-body parts that reqiure correct weight calculations, this is a must.

22 Comments
neil.hamilton
Enthusiast

I would use this for sure. Often times when using a single part that is a glued/welded/sewn/fastened together composite that is purchased as a single part(!) and is not part of my design process nor under my control.

Please implement this soon.

dvsmiller9
Advocate

This is something I thought Inventor would support when multibody became available.  We have models of parts that in reality are made of different materials but we can't model them without doing them as assemblies.  We haven't used multibody as much because of this.  Currently we just pick the primary material which is an approximation at best.

petestrycharske
Advisor

This definitely should have already been on the wishlist, so I am glad that you posted Cadmanto!  A potential work around for this is when you export the solids as individual parts, you can assign a different template file to each one to control the material.  Wish I could claim this as my idea, but I found it somewhere and sadly cannot remember where (would definitely give props to the one who came up with that idea).  Anyway, my name is Pete and I support this function (couldn't resist, it being political season and all... :>)

DRoam
Mentor

Yes, please add this!

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [433]

Technically this was requested here:  http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/solid-body-palooza/idi-p/3755426

However @MRanda embedded multiple requests within his Solid Body-Palooza Idea.  So I Accepted this as an individual request to support materials & leave MRanda's idea for the grouping suggestion.  Thanks!

steinar.sorem
Advocate

Hi, is this implemented in Inventor 2017?

rogmitch
Advocate

I am really hoping this feature will be implemented in IV 2018.  My designs are generally static systems so once I can assign mass to individual solids, the need to create overall assemblies of individual parts will be entirely redundant.  The addition of this feature would lead to a major improvement in my workflow.

alessio.camino
Participant
This is a very good idea for who frequantly use a multibody parts instead of assembly. For example, protection in which we have chassis in iron and plastic pannel for every ipt.
dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Idea added to backlog for future consideration [433]. Thanks!

a_ceruti
Explorer
It could be nice to have possibility to create a Multi-Body part (.ipt) and assign different material to each body.

Example: a roll : gray body = alluminium and blue bodies = steel ; I want to assign two materials in the same ".ipt" .
 so if I change the lenght - size of body roll or the shafts, i can get the right mass property and gravity center of the ipt part. (often it's better to use multibody part instead an assembly.

thanks
Alessandro
roll.JPG
Tags (2)
jingyi.liu
Alumni

Hi Thanks for your feedback, please cast your vote to below same idea.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/different-materials-for-each-solid-bodies/idi-p/522947...

Regards,

JBerns
Advisor

Please extend this request to allow the assignment of sheet metal rules to solid bodies.

Regards,

steinar_sorem
Advocate

It`s must have in fact it is possible to make multi body parts...

Chris.Pepler
Explorer

I can't believe inventor is so restrictive with this. I can do the same workflow in Solidworks in a fraction of the time. Please allow multiple materials in one part!

Cadmanto
Mentor

What I would like to know is how does an idea go from "Accepted" to "Future Consideration"?

This should have already been in the software considering I started this 5 years ago.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk

@Cadmanto ,

The status changes of many Ideas from "Accepted" to "Future Consideration" is part of an ongoing effort to improve predictability. We now mark ideas that are being considered in the near term, as "Accepted" and longer term, as "Future Consideration". Noting that both "Accepted" and "Future Consideration" ideas exist within our internal database (product enhancement backlog) as being on our radar. This particular Idea was the #70 overall Idea in 2016 with 97 kudos (votes), it gained 29 votes in 2017 (126), moved to #61 overall in 2018 with 185 votes and currently sits around #33 alongside other non-implemented ideas with 199 votes. Rest assured we are watching it, along with thousands of other ideas. I am hopeful that we can get around to this "one day - ie future consideration" (assuming it continues to climb with community favor & we continue to address ideas that currently reside above it, in vote count).  I hope this explains things, if even a little. 

Finest regards,

Dan

Cadmanto
Mentor
  1. Dan, that is a great explanation.  Thank you for sharing this insight.  I think we as users need to hear the process once in a while to know how things are progressing.
aiiway
Contributor
We need this 多实体材质
aiiway
Contributor

强烈支持此功能,大家快投票支持支持啊

peter.kapitola
Advocate

Seven years later and this idea is still not a reality? Multi-body parts are hamstrung by the inability to different materials for different solids. 

Autodesk really needs to do a big "sprint project" and smash out a big list of features that other CAD programs have had now for many years. As someone coming to this program with a fresh pair of eyes, the amount that Inventor is lagging behind is surprising and disappointing. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report