Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dialog window location

Dialog window location

I use a laptop and change locations and each location has a different monitor setup.  Dialog windows are always popping up out of view because Inventor uses the last location of the window, even if it will appear off screen in the current monitor set up.  This happens with Vault as well.  It would be nice if these dialog windows would open where they can be seen.

18 Comments
A.Gieck
Participant

I have the feeling I keep shifting Dialogs where I want them, an the next time I open the dialog again, it' again at it's Old place.. either I'm miunderstanding you, or I have the exact opposite problem.

mikeh7
Collaborator

Have both situations and understand the issue when unplugging and plugging in other monitors.  Real pain w/ moving them, then next time restart IV and some of the dialogs revert back to original place.  Mainly the home or start up screen.  I run IV on my 2nd monitor, but the home screen always reverts back to my laptop screen.  Just with a restart of IV, not unplugging the 2nd monitor.

swalton
Mentor

I have a similar issue, vault dialogs will sometimes take mouse focus from Inventor, but appear behind the main Inventor window.  Alt-Tab will not cycle through and display the dialog box, so I have to use Task Manager to close Inventor.  This usually happens when I let Inventor run on the right screen and use email or some other program on the left screen.

Make all the dialog boxes show up with Alt-tab so I can bring them to the front.  That way I can respond to the box, not just close Inventor.

DRoam
Mentor

@patricksalvador and others, multi-monitor support was supposedly added in Inventor 2016 as described here. However, I have yet to see any positive differences from this "support". Everything listed in Dan's comment already functioned fine before the support was added, except for the "always on top" functionality which has nothing to do with "multi-monitor" support anyway. As described here, however, several fantastic bugs did occur as a result of this "support".

But all that said, I wanted to ask if the issue brought up in this Idea was perhaps fixed in Inventor 2016 with this multi-monitor support?

This would have been an ideal issue to tackle in relation to multi-monitor support. If it wasn't, I honestly am not sure what multi-monitor functionality was actually Implemented with that "support" in 2016.

william.treasure
Explorer

Working on a laptop in different offices i work on several multi-screen systems, as well as just my laptop. When i move to just my laptop, dialogue boxes (checkout, copy design, errors etc.) do not display on the screen, they are off to the side somewhere and find it hard/impossible to get them back, or show on a different screen. 

Can an addition be made that the checkout/option/error/copy design etc. message appear on the same screen that the vault client is displayed on?

steveh4
Advisor

Alt-Spacebar\Move\Arrow Keys will get it back to screen, but most users think Vault is locking up and they end task VC.

Here's same issue as this one...please vote both up.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/dialog-window-location/idc-p/5304307#M5979

Richard.Rankin
Autodesk Support

There is an increasing number of Vault users who are now switching to remotely working from home . Away from their normal place of work. They are disconnecting their workstations from the normal monitors and finding that some Vault dialogs are not appearing as they are used to. For some they are describing the experience as Vault is hanging or freezing. For some this could add to an already stressful time.

The solution is relatively easy and documented in this article.

After switching to working from home, or disconnecting a monitor, the Vault dialog windows do not appear and the software appears to hang or freeze

The wish is to consider new and easier ways to reset the dialog locations and make this long standing behaviour a thing of the past.

Tags (1)
Sathishkannan.Vijayan
Participant

Hello,

Please implement the same idea proposed for Inventor in Vault too. Check the link below for detailed description.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/stop-opening-popup-windows-and-dialogs-off-screen-when...

Tags (1)
tim_gladdy
Contributor

Please back port this to the 2020 release

loic_guilloux_GE
Enthusiast

This is incredible to see in 2021 in a software like and discover that all popups positions are stored in an XML file.... 

For me what you should do, is simply to open the popup windows in the middle of the screen where the software is located. Simple to manage and to develop and simple to understand for the end users.... 
In that case, only the size can be store in the xml file, not more and of course, if the size of the popup is to high comparing to the size of the screen put it on the left... That's it!

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

matthew_guise
Explorer

I'm still having these issues in 2023! So frustrating!

matthew_guise
Explorer

Have this issue with both Inventor and Vault!

matthew_guise
Explorer

I don't even know if another window is open since it doesn't even show the dialog boxes when you alt tab. I've been trying to close out of inventor files for 10 mins now and am unable to get any response. None of the comments are helpful. This is a weekly occurrence for me.

woodstylee3
Advocate

When moving between different screen setups dialogues retain the last used co-ordinates which may well be off visible screen of currently connected monitors. Dialogues should recentre if there current position is not visible, to save a lot of user frustration and r

eports of vault locking up.

Tags (1)
ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

loic_guilloux_GE
Enthusiast

Status changed to:  Future Consideration

I don't think this is an huge thing to implement, the minimum is to remove this useless storage of the popups windows location in the file and then open the popup in the middle of the window where the main interface is opened. So I assume this can be done in 1 m/day during the software upgrade. So why waiting for this minor but very disapointed choice. A lot of users are complaining about this?

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report