Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Design Doctor sucks - Display error notifications in model tree

Design Doctor sucks - Display error notifications in model tree

Give me the option to use Design Doctor.   If I don't know what created the error I have to click the cross and waste my time clicking thru buttons in this dialog box.  I just want to know where the error is - I can fix it.  Display some type of indication in the model tree by the part or assembly that has an error - you could us the red cross.

design dr sucks.JPG

6 Comments
AndrewSears
Community Manager

Can you verify the workflow using Inventor 2014 please?  We added functionality in 2014 to show (and highlight) sick constraints on the model without the need to cycle through the browser.

Andy 

crmayo
Advocate

Sorry, Tata tech convinced my boss a couple of months ago that we shouldn't install 2014.  Who knows how long we will be stuck with 2013,,,   Great news though, thanks for the reply.

DRoam
Mentor

To respond to this 3 years later... I definitely do NOT think that the "Show Sick" function resolves this Idea.

There are many cases where resolving conflicts using the Browser Tree would be more efficient than doing so with the aid of little icons in the Graphics Window.

I'm tired of functionality being implemented in one place and not the other. Dialog boxes vs. Mini Toolbars, Constraints vs. JointsPart Patterns vs. Assembly Patterns, Fillet Functionality vs. Chamfer Functionality... and now the Graphics Area vs. the Browser Bar... why does one tool always have functionality that the other doesn't?? Why can't we have consistency across the product?

There's no sure-fire criteria for which (the Browser Bar or the Graphics Area) is going to be more efficient for a given task. It's going to depend not only on the task but also the circumstances and personal preference. Sometimes you want to keep your focus on the actual parts that you're dealing with (hence this idea), and sometimes it's more efficient to work with an "outline" of your model. But you can't restrict one functionality to the Browser Bar and another functionality to the Graphics Area and think that you're doing the user a favor.

As much as possible, capabilities should be consistent between similarly-purposed tools (like those I listed above with the links). This is not duplicating functionality, it's being consistent. Consistency facilitates efficiency; inconsistency facilitates confusion, lost time, and frustration.

The Browser Bar and Graphics Area are, for all intents and purposes, similarly-purposed tools. Both of them are intended to let you interact with the components and features in your model. So in light of that... please facilitate some efficiency and implement model diagnostics in the Browser Bar as well, as requested in this Idea, not just in the Graphics Area. 🙂

swalton
Mentor

I turned off the constraint icons in the graphics window.  Why?  Too confusing with 5k instance assemblies.

I want the sick constraints to be discover-able in the browser.  The relationships folder is useless when you have large assemblies.  To make it better, add some sorting and filtering options to control how the information is displayed.

While changes are being made, how about making the red cross a full size icon on every ribbon, not some small thing half-hidden on the Quick Access Toolbar?

robert.reitinger
Explorer

It would be helpful, if the issue is visible without clicking several times the crossas it is.JPGas it should be.JPG

lance3
Contributor

I remember something in the model browser that showed sick items - a lightbulb?

Additionally, when a problem is in a sketch, can be very difficult to find the sketch as it is not always highlighted - often under parts which are blued out. which I always througt of as strange, as often the faulty part needs a change on the sketch

The reason there may be multiple clicks is to reduce the amount of dialog space taken up if there are lots of errors.

Maybe compromise and expand all for that one dialog item would open up all of the errors with that one item?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report