Inventor IdeaStation
Share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team.
56 Kudos
streharg

Custom patterns

by Valued Contributor streharg on ‎11-05-2012 04:59 AM

I would like to have custom patterns!

Patterns can stay the way they are, but besides spacing and distance, please, add custom, so users can define custom distances. That would save a lot of time! Now, have to do 2, 3 or 4 different patterns of same thing, just to get spacings right.

Greg

Accepted idea [US14656]. Please continue to provide feedback on environment preference. Thanks!
Comments
by Valued Mentor on ‎11-05-2012 01:04 PM

So your saying patterns based on say an embedded spread sheet with multiple different spacings?  This would be nice.

by Valued Contributor MattH_Work on ‎11-22-2012 09:15 AM

Add fill paterns to that list. In fact just look at the options available to NX users

by *Expert Elite* on ‎12-03-2012 02:47 PM

Also, make the patterns work the same way in the part and assembly environments.

For instance:  circular pattern of 4 items @ 90 degrees in the part environment gives you 4 features spaced out over a 90 degree arc.  Go to the assembly environment, and the same thing gives you 4 features spaced 90 degrees apart.  Why the difference?

Also, why can we do a pattern on a sketched curve in the part environment but not the assembly environment?

by Employee on ‎01-28-2013 11:06 AM
Status changed to: Under Review

by Mentor on ‎02-21-2013 07:19 AM

I agree as well.

We do a number of things here that need to be arrayed around a circle. I'd say 1/2 the time the spacing isn't even.

6 objects around a body aren't always going to be 60 degrees apart. Being able to use a table to say:

item 2   120

item 3   170

item 4   240

item 5   300

item 6   355

would be great!

As it is now, the only option is is to place 6 different assemblies and their associated connection peices on the main body 6 separate times (or more depending on how many are needed).

by Employee on ‎02-27-2013 11:53 AM
Status changed to: Under Review
Let me pose another question. Assuming you could only receive "custom distance" functionality in one environment (Part or Assembly). Which would be more critical to all of you? This project [US14656] is under review by the development team.
by Valued Contributor streharg on ‎02-27-2013 11:25 PM

I vote for assembly enviroment!

Greg

by Valued Contributor michael.marx on ‎03-07-2013 07:23 AM

part environment is always better

in assembly you can always link to the part pattern :-)

by Valued Contributor MattH_Work on ‎03-12-2013 05:50 AM

by michael.marx on ‎2013-03-07 03:23 PM

part environment is always better

in assembly you can always link to the part pattern :-)

Agreed. If we can't have both, let the Part dictate and the Assembly follow

by Employee on ‎03-18-2013 08:38 AM
Status changed to: Accepted
Accepted idea [US14656]. Please continue to provide feedback on environment preference. Thanks!
Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

New Idea
You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea.

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube