Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cursing in the Office

Cursing in the Office

I have been asked by my superviser to stop cursing while in the office. Unfortunatly I have been unsuccessful over the last week and found that the cursing is more or less out of my control. I am cursing at my computer and nothing more.

My request is that the code wirters at Autodesk fix the general buginess of the software as well as review some of the work flow that has been forced down our throughts.

In an effort to make a more pleseant working enviroment all around the world... Please clean up your mess!

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

13 Comments
Ново
Community Visitor

I'd suggest next to all these communication and AutoDesk 360 buttons that i can't get rid of, another button to be set with label "curse". By pressing this button a message to be sent to the management of AutoDesk ...

cbenner
Mentor

As much as I and many others agree with you, this is not the place for general complaining and ranting.  This is a place for specific ideas for soecific fixes or enhancements, backed up with examples and documentation wherever possible.

MDS-MQ
Advocate

That is a very optimistic opinion of this forum. From what I see it is all bells and whistles, very few useful topics get approved or implemented.

Been designing for over 15 years and Inventor's poor stability has caused me to make the decision to change carries.

I have been designing for many years and have been using Autodesk products since I was in college.  The 2015 versions of Inventor and Autocad have been the most enjoyable to work with for me.  The Autocad interface alone, and its ability to allow you to customize it is fantastic.  I have been running dual monitors for awhile as well and the 2015 release lets me utilize both monitors with minimal wasted space.  Maybe I have been putting in more effort with this release to make my work environments more productive or the software has been optimized to allow some of these changes I have made.  Either way I have experienced excellent results. 

Before popinting fingers at your tools, make sure all of your tools are up to spec and in proper working order.  Software is just one tool out of many that need to be in order before having a productive work experience.  Amongst those tools are your computer, network configuration, user training and also user experience level plays a big role as well.

I enjoyed reading your post.  Hopefully your issues get addressed quickly.

Stephen R.

jletcher
Advisor

stephenrottloff

How long have you been using Inventor?

I understand and yes Inventor has been going down hill since 2012. The interface is the worst takes forever to do something that was quick.

The features made in version 2 still have not been fixed.

Heck the number one tool I like was the match imate and guess what that has NEVER worked...

My cursing started after 2012 and the no longer have the option for the best interface CLASSIC..  This alone has cause my time to double.

and  stephenrottloff just don't understand I should not have to take a day just to set up my tools so I can work.

Autodesk is no longer a leader in the field but the chaser and it is sad to see... Maybe someday the will hire me and we can get it back to the dream software it once was.. But as of now I tell all that ask not to go with Inventor.

I could go on but it is upsetting me I loved this software and now I just want to find a new field of work Autodesk destroyed Inventor to a point I no longer want to engineer...

Go vote...

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/don-t-add-anything/idi-p/3685008

MDS-MQ
Advocate

Thanks JLetcher

I have voted for don't add anything, the day it was posted. If more people created real projects with Inventor they would understand.

I have been using Inventor since release 4. Not a new bee by any means. Like you say it was supposed to be the dream software. No it is bogged down and sold on bells and whistles.

Unfortunately the guys selling it know how to sell it to the guys buying it not the guys using it.

As for improvements to AutoCAD... Why would they have made any changes. They took a solid stable piece of software that you could do anything with and added a new level of complexity. Some nice features but nothing that is going to change anyone's world.

holzmand16
Contributor

I do have to agree with MDS-MQ, I had a co-worker that before Inventor, I never heard him swear.  Then we moved to Inventor (mainly my fault), drops an F-bomb almost every day typically after a crash. Unfortunately the "buginess" is so general, most the time it's fixed with closing the program and restarting(if you are lucky. Unfortunately a lot of our users will spend quite a bit of time trying to figure out what they are doing wrong before they get me, first thing I do is save and shut down the program, fixes it most times.  But there are those bugs that don't go away for intance:

Putting a single constraint on a part and having it locked into place, even though it should have 2 degrees of freedom.

Parts on assembly drawings (mainly hardware) where it doesn't show up in a drawing view even though surrounding parts show up.

Constraints flipping on you

Stability so you can work eights hours without crashing for a week straight(2013 was really bad)

Software thinking you changed an item within an assembly that you haven't even touched.  

Ability to handle flexible assemblies and adaptive parts, both have a tendency to cause buggy issues.

Assemblies that were error free when you checked them in, still be error free 6 months later when you go to use the design.

The biggest issue I have come across even with proposing of new ideas is that lifetime Autodesk users don't think there is anything wrong or they just don't understand.

I suggested what Soildworks in 2006 called an "in between" mate, Unlike symmetry which requires to find a midplane within the tree, it required you to grab two extent surfaces from one part and do the same from the other and it would center the assembly.

I suggested that the parts list be the same as the BOM, if you reorder one, the other updates, also it would be nice if it assigned the next available balloon when you insert a new part,  Right now If I place a part that is item 5, deceide I don't want it, the next item will come in as IT 6, even though I still have 5 items.    The response I got was, "just renumber".  We do drawings that have 180 parts you spend hours trying to get your BOM in a order that makes sense when building in the shop floor.

"They took a solid stable piece of software that you could do anything with" - not true.  e.g. - Inentor has never been able to unfold non-linear shaped sheet metal.

"lifetime Autodesk users don't think there is anything wrong or they just don't understand" - Sure we understand and sure there are areas that can be improved.  That is the point of ideastation.  If this post was worded differently, you would have received better results.  If a specific issue was mentioned, it may have had a chance to be addressed.  Instead, this post is about as non-specific as you can get.  Non-specific = non help.

Hopefully all other available software will have zero defects, be 100% user error free and have an incredible user interface that causes zero user discomfort, pain or distress   : )

MDS-MQ
Advocate

Ha!

This forum is to make users think Autodesk cares or is listening. Smell the coffee...

dgorsman
Consultant

Back to the original idea.  You do realize that having Inventor changed to meet your needs and procedures will cause others to curse, since it no longer follows their own needs and procedures.  Right?

The only way to guarantee software will do exactly what you want, how you want. is to hire a developer to create it with specific contractual terms.

MDS-MQ
Advocate

Oh my mistake in thinking that I should not have to answer the same question multiple times (do you want to check out this file? No to all...).

Or when sectioning a model I have to select ok then right click again to select continue.

Or When adding a custom property field to a drawing parts list you have to click through 3 or 4 dialog boxes and then click all the way back out...

My fingers are getting tired.

I get paid to push out big complicated welded structures and highly detailed assemblies. Not push buttons that some dude that has never even read a drawing (I may be exaggerating) thought I should push... cause I got nothing better to do.

I don't want to change anything. I want thing fixed. Autodesk want to change and add stuff. Someone thinks that sells seats!

jletcher
Advisor

dgorsman

You do know what we ask for has been there before the junk interface and it work out very well during the classic days I never heard any one say they hated it. Where this new interface has cost nothing but time and money with mulible clicks that took one click.. And I hear lots of people hating it..

Funny you say others will curse but it is ok to upset others as long as it does not effect you rigth?

In classic interface it was a drag and drop to add commands now act of god..

Autodesk was a the leader in cad software now they chase others and it screwed up a great software...

There is an excellent presentation explaining the history and development of the ribbon bar.  What is really amazing is the number of commands that some modern software have and the challenge of making all of them accessible in a meaningful way.

After reading this presentation, I have  a new respect for software developers and the challenges they face.

http://www.90percentofeverything.com/2008/03/20/the-story-of-the-microsoft-office-ribbon-by-jensen-h...

Thank you,

Stephen R.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report