Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Design functions in part enviroment

Design functions in part enviroment

I would like to have design functions e.g. shaft, gears, in part enviroment also!

Now you have to have part in some assembly just to use advanced design functions, which is really useless when you editing your desing, reusing old parts and so on.

7 Comments
dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

fabianrebora
Enthusiast

I need to use the Design Accelerator to create axes, coils, gears, etc.
I find it very awkward and unnecessary to have to generate an an assembly to use the tool because I only need unique parts, not assemblies or sub-assemblies to host the part.
If I generate them in the assembly and then save them as unique parts, I lose the possibility of editing them.  That is only possible from within an assembly.

I need this to work as it did in Mechanical Desktop: The possibility to use these tools directly in a part file (IPT).

jtylerbc
Mentor

Agreed.  This doesn't affect me much anymore, but at my previous employer I often modeled gears.  For the most part, I was not designing the gears, I was just modeling existing parts in Inventor.  I would always end up creating an assembly, using it to access Design Accelerator to create my gear, and then deleting the unneeded assembly files (and the mating gear when I forgot to deselect it for creation).

The current incarnation of Design Accelerators is nice for new designs, but it is terrible for modeling up existing parts.

fabianrebora
Enthusiast

Should be enabled these commands to ipt and iam

livewire77
Enthusiast

I wanted to make a post to Ideastation , and now I can see that it is already there. Great.....but wait, from 2012..........and still only under review?

Problem:

Almost every feature created in Design accelerator (DA) creates also subassembly. In some cases , like for example involute spline I really don´t understand why. If I just want to place gear on the shaft  part , it is not necessary to create subassembly. This is not my cup of tea , because there are several problems related to this concept.

1)Too many files resulting in a file mess.

2) When such part with DA features is placed in different assembly , these DA features are impossible to edit.

DA features 1.jpg

3)When I would like to use existing part wth DA features and use it for creating new similar part (by copy or save as) ,  DA features are again impossible to edit.

DA features 2.jpg

4) Mostly, I don´t use DA for creating the shaft because it is not user friendly and I usually don´t even know how shaft will finally look like at the beginning of the design. But then Inventor prevents me from using those DA features.

5)Sometimes I make parts and drawings for production without any assembly. Then I can´t use any from those DA features, simply because they are not in part environment.

Solution:

I would also suggest to put DA in part environment. I would welcome to have an option to store DA features locally in part file, and being freely editable from that part file, without the need of any subassembly. They should be like another placed features , like for example chamfer or round. There are many useful features for example in DA shaft environment (like relieves, keyway grooves, retaining ring grooves and many more) that can be used ONLY in assembly for shafts created in DA. That is a pity. I would like these features to be available in part environment for use with cylindrical parts (and holes if applicable) not created in design accelerator.

Plus also shaft center holes. I don´t understand why they are missing in DA. I use them very often. 

DA features 4.jpg

DA features 6.jpg

It would be even more great to add into this family of locally stored DA features also spur gears (straight, helical) , straight bevel gears , spiral bevel gears (at least Gleason type) , hypoid bevel gears , worm wheels and worms ( at least ZA,ZN,ZK). Gears should have an option to create them with exact tooth profile - this would be great for people working in gear industry like me and also great input for CAM , because these days large gears are often produced on 5-axis machining centers , so exact geometry for CAM would be huge advantage for Inventor.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report