Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Control sketch text height with parameter

Control sketch text height with parameter

Request ability to control sketch text height with a parameter.

Text position and angle, via sketch text box, can be controlled with parameters, but the height is controlled within the text editor which is not accessible as a parameter.

Parameter control could be extended to control text width/stretch.

This would be useful to control text height relative to another value such as part length or height. Most any part that uses embossed or engraved text may benefit from this added control.

Regards,

Jerry

16 Comments
dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

PafecDOGS
Advocate

Doing an ipart just now for a label with diff sizes and wanting the text to be 4/5 the height of the label - can't do it without this feature, gotta split the labels up into size groups which is a pain

DWhiteley
Advisor

Accept a parameter for the sketch text height when embossing etc.

Likewise accept iLogic text parameters for the text content as well.

Dave

Envisage

LukeDavenport
Collaborator

This ones got my vote Dave

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

newcomer
Advocate

Parameters for fonts are not definable.  For example, I might want all my labels in a 3mm font, but if I use the fx page to create a numeric value label_font_size as 3mm, I cannot specify this name for the font height.  Similarly, I should be able to create names for all other font parameters, including color.

I should be able to name a complete set of font parameters and apply the name to a text object, instead of having to set the parameters each time.  And while the simple method is to create a suitable text obect, then clone it 20 times and change just the text, this doesn't help if I decide to change some font parameter after I've created all 20 labels.  Look at the model where there is an always-present "properties" box and I can quickly change any parameter of any object.

joe

MjDeck
Autodesk

In Inventor 2013 (or possibly 2014) and later, you can use iLogic text parameters for the text content.

inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Thanks for sharing your Idea. We use this forum to guide product development and help users in the best way we can based on voting. We occasionally merge Ideas or archive old ones to keep the forum working properly - it ensures there is room for people to review new Ideas and that the most relevant and meaningful ones can gain votes. We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so. We’ve found that pictures and mock-ups can help get concepts across and win more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others, let us know. - Inventor product team (Inv.idea review)
inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Thanks for sharing your Idea. We use this forum to guide product development and help users in the best way we can based on voting. We occasionally merge Ideas or archive old ones to keep the forum working properly - it ensures there is room for people to review new Ideas and that the most relevant and meaningful ones can gain votes. We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so. We’ve found that pictures and mock-ups can help get concepts across and win more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others, let us know. - Inventor product team (Inv.idea review)
inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

Please base the sketch text font size by Parameters.

Today we have to create an iLogic rule to work around this.

Exemple:

Dim odoc As PartDocument

odoc = ThisApplication.ActiveDocument

Dim osketch As Sketch

'The used sketch name in the extrusion is Text

osketch =odoc.ComponentDefinition.Sketches.Item("SketchName")

osketch.TextBoxes.Item(1).FormattedText ="<StyleOverride FontSize='" & FontSizeParameter/10 & "'>" & osketch.TextBoxes(1).Text & "</StyleOverride>"

odoc.Update

Tags (5)
bardurPW3UA
Participant

I'd like to add to this

The important thing here is to be able to parametrically adjust the size of the text without having to open the text editor each time. I see two ways of doing this.

1. Make the font size a parameter which can be edited in the parameters dialogue box: bardurPW3UA_2-1607441596570.png This would probably require a button or something to make everything in the text box the same font.
  2. Lock the text box to the boundaries of the text, such that when you scale the text box, the text scales with it: bardurPW3UA_3-1607442002595.png This could either be a button in the text editor, or a different type of text box.

I think it would be best to implement both options. However if I were to choose, then I would say that option 2 is far more useful and flexible, because it allows you to precisely define the area that the text occupies. It allows you to for example use geometry as boundaries for the text (this is really useful for things that change, like embossed version numbers and preventing the part name from going outside the lines in the drawing title block): 

bardurPW3UA_4-1607442536908.png

It allows you to have titles, bullets, fine print and other things of different sizes in the same text box, and scale them all relative to each other, without having to edit the font size of each section.

There is one variation which I'm not sure is better or worse, and that would be for the text to scale up to the first boundary it meets (either height or width), instead of locking the text box to the boundaries of the text. This would make it easier to define a variable boundary for the text to stay inside. If the text box is fixed to the boundaries of the text then you can't easily constrain all four sides of the text box.

Eikaas_Even
Enthusiast

I'm currently worklng with tag numberplates for an offshore installastion. This requires many types of different font sizes based on type of tag etc.

I made a simple Textbox sketch (template if u like) where I'd like to make all these tag numberplates.

I find that its not as easy as I hoped 🙂 It would be nice if I were able to add parameters to the text size input!

Parameters_textbox1.pngParameters_textbox2.png

In this case Text 1 shall be 10mm

And Text 2 shall be 5mm.

Im not a expert programmer... yet.. but i made an easy example of how i would like to control the textbox input.

Parameters_textbox3.png

That will eventualy lead to something like this..

Parameters_textbox4.png

In my case it will now be really easy to standardize and "play with" different dimensions for my tags. 🙂

Thanks

-Even.-

Tags (7)
jingyi.liu
Alumni
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Yijiang.Cai
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Many thanks for posting the idea to us, and tracked as [INVGEN-60858].

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report