Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symmetric constraint involving a Width Mate like solidworks

Symmetric constraint involving a Width Mate like solidworks

it would be very useful if inventor has this constraint.

A width mate centers a tab within the width of a groove.

Groove width references can include:

• Two parallel planar faces

• Two non-parallel planar faces (with or without draft)

Tab references can include:

• Two parallel planar faces

• Two non-parallel planar faces (with or without draft)

• One cylindrical face or axis

Examples:

16 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sometimes, I want to constrain a part so that the dimension comes off of the center of the part. Most cases, I can use the origin plane of the part, but sometimes this isn't an option.

Adding a midplane option would give us more flexibility, especially if the part changes sizes down the road.

So instead of having your "1" and "2" selections, there may be a checkbox for "midplane" for both parts 1 and 2 and "1" becomes "1a" and "1b" if the box is checked, and likewise for part 2.

Tags (2)
DRoam
Mentor

Currently, I cannot choose two faces on a single part as the first two faces in a Symmetric Constraint. This means I cannot center a face on one part between two faces on another part. This is very limiting as this is a basic functionality that should be allowed. Please allow two faces on a single part to be the outside faces of a Symmetric Constraint.

Tags (1)
DRoam
Mentor

We also cannot constrain a third part to be centered relative to two components that are in a pattern. This is very limiting as it is common to have a part, such as a gusset, centered between members of a pattern. Please allow this as well.

DRoam
Mentor

This is a great suggestion. This could be used not only to center a part/feature, but also to drive symmetry. The Symmetry constraint would no longer be needed.

For example, depending on the selection, you could do the following:

Selection: One side of the constraint is a pair faces, the other side is single face

Behavior: The single face will be centered between the pair of faces, and the pair of faces will be kept symmetric about the single face

Selection: Both sides are a pair of faces

Behavior: Both pairs will share the same center (i.e. be centered with each other)

This could be used to center parts/features, and keep parts symmetric, all without the need for preexisting midplanes for said parts/features.

geargirl2951
Enthusiast

I was glad to get back to Inventor when I switched jobs but I have to say, if there is one thing I miss most about SolidWorks, it's the width mate. 

Mating planes is cumbersome especially if your design intent uses the existing planes in another fashion and now have to create work planes.

To be fair, I missed the insert constraint during my SW days.

DRoam
Mentor
AKSC6EZ
Contributor

Sometimes I want to constrain objects aligned in the center with other objects. Here for I need to make a midplane or so to align the objects.
It would be great to be able to constrain two parts and align them in the center with each other.

It would be great to be able to select a mid plane through two planes for each part and then contstrain them against each other.
It should look like the workfeature -> ' create plane between to planes' 

Tags (4)
jtylerbc
Mentor

In my opinion, the Symmetry constraint should be able to do this.  Its purpose currently is to resolve the two objects about the midplane.  If it could also solve "backwards" so that the midplane moves instead if it is the less-constrained object, that would take care of this need without  having to add another type of constraint.

DRoam
Mentor

This has already been asked for, you can vote for it here: Symmetric constraint involving a Width Mate like solidworks

Also, I agree with @jtylerbc. The Symmetry constraint should handle all types of symmetry constraining, including:

• Symmetrizing: Make two planes (or edges or axes or points) symmetric relative to a centerplane
  • Centering: Center a plane (or edge or axis or point) between two outer planes
  • In all cases, we should be able to define the "centerplane" as the bisector of two existing faces (i.e. Width Mate from SolidWorks)

Right now the Symmetry constraint only does the first of those. It can do the second, but only with planes, and not if the two outer planes are part of the same Component or in the same Component Pattern.

DRoam
Mentor
Anonymous
Not applicable

I totally I agree that this type of constraint needs to be add to Inventor. I know that there are workarounds but this would make it such more convenient. Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

What is described above should be an obvious, necessary assembly functionality.

I believe SolidWorks has had it for more than 15 years.

jholland3XDLM
Enthusiast

This is asked for a lot with various terminology.  It took me some time to find this one, and I believe it is worded best for the feature we want. 

I'll add some photos to illustrate this concept.

capture.png

I would like to put this switch into that square hole. The hole is not the same size as the switch, for clearance.

The switch was downloaded and the origin planes are not centered. The hole is offset from center (I could link the distance to the mate, still not the best solution). I will have to open both parts, create two work planes each and then constrain them together. Then I will forget which planes should go together. The proposed mid-plane constraint would fix everything here.

So a constraint dialog that allows 4 selections, (or three if one has a origin plane or center point that can be used.

1a and 1b are green; 2a and 2b are purple:

Granted most of those parts should have origin planes to to help out. But this is not always the case, at which point you must start creating work planes. Even with naming the planes it can get confusing very quickly.

Capture2.JPG

In this example I would like to place the T shaped slider in it's slot. I had to create a work plane to mate to. This is simple enough but this is a very simple assembly I created just to illustrate my point. It would be great to select a constraint option in the assembly file that centered this object without having the work-planes already in place. Even if the tool creates a work-plane that would be acceptable (although not ideal), but only if it auto-hides it as well. Nothing irritates me more than opening a assembly with 100 work planes visible.

I do know about the symmetry constraint, which is good but quite doesn't address centering a single part into a feature.

krista.vanderwerff
Participant

Please!  This may be the most frustrating thing I have encountered in switching to Inventor.  This creates so much extra work for something that is a basic function in all three other programs I have used.

Christian3.14
Advocate

Please add this. The current way is so frustrating.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Idea added to backlog for future consideration [49206]. Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report