Inventor IdeaStation
Share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team.
1 Kudo
n.schotten

Cloning a part instead of copy-replace.

by Contributor n.schotten on ‎01-24-2014 02:41 AM

I abhor the frame generator. It's not my prefered way of designing a frame to hold my parts together (counter intuative).

I place CC frame parts in the asm and eventualy demote them into a frame asm file. In this procces i often place multiple copies of a member.

This catches me out sometimes as i make holes in a member (bolted connection).

to resolve this i make a copy of the part and then replace other members with the copy, or replace the one with it's copy. and remove the unwanted hole features in the members that should not have them.

I find the whole copy-replace tiresome. Sometimes you have to redo the constrants as well.

Cloning the selected member, giving it a new file name, and have the member replaced by the cloned version, keeping the contraints, is all i need.

Much like  the new frame generator replacing a copied member with a unique member.

Comments
by *Expert Elite* on ‎01-24-2014 11:59 AM

On the Assemble tab, check out "Save and Replace Component" on the Productivity panel.  If I'm understanding correctly what you're asking for, that command already does exactly what you want.

by Contributor n.schotten on ‎01-24-2014 02:25 PM

Ah. that panel was turned off. Thanks.

Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

New Idea
You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube