Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep drawing dimensions centered

Keep drawing dimensions centered

You can place a dimension text centered on a drawing, but if you change the length of a part the dimension text is not centered anymore. I would like to have an option to keep these dimension texts centered.

10 Comments
Curtis_Waguespack
Consultant

Hi arjendenobel3640 ,

If you go to the Tools tab > Document Settings button > Drawing tab, you should find a setting called Dimension Updates.

You can set this setting to Sheet Position and Maintain Centered.

This settting retains centered dimension placement while all other dimensions maintain their positions on the sheet.

Is this what you're after?

Also, you can adjust the default placement behavior by going to the Tools tab > Application Options button > Drawing tab, and setting the Center dimension text on creation option.

See this link for a bit more on using that settting (the last paragraph sepecifically):

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/2011/08/drawing-dimensions-left-or-right.html

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

adenobel
Contributor

Thanks Curtis, that did the trick.

fernando.velez
Participant

The "Organize dimension" command does not adjust the text in its centered position, especially when a piece is cut.
This command should be improved to position itself the text in center the dimension.

Tags (4)
aasiu
Advocate

Autodesk,

The option is there, I hope you are going to still allow dimensions NOT to be centered.

Thank you.

DRoam
Mentor

@dan_szymanski, couldn't this one be tagged solution provided? Same for this duplicate: Drawing dimension alignment when model changed.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

The Idea status "Solved" has been removed, so I am assigning this to Archived state since the issue was resolved without need for an implementation.  Thanks -Dan

jingyi.liu
Alumni

Hi Fernando

I think your request is similar to below one

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/keep-drawing-dimensions-centered/idi-p/3781771

Based on customer reply, it's doable through document setting, so the request has been archived.

Regards,

Jingyi

DRoam
Mentor

@dan_szymanski@jingyi.liu, as the top-voted idea in the Archived section, shouldn't this post be moved to the general Inventor forum like all other posts where a solution has been provided? It's my understanding that the Archive status is for ideas that "didn't make the cut" but could technically be re-created if someone's just dying to see them considered, and thinks they have enough merit to garner some support if presented better.

That description isn't really appropriate for something Inventor can already do.

Same for the #2 and #3 ideas with the Archive status.

As a plus, it also makes you guys look better to not have high-vote-count ideas in the Archived list 😉 just trying to help you out 😉

jingyi.liu
Alumni

Hi Derek

Much appreciated your feedback & help. Dan explained the case why we put the idea under archived category, since there is no "solved" status anymore. I fully agree with you that the archived idea with many votes may confuse Inventor users, thank you to point it out. We're considering to give user more clear definition of each status, including obsolete status like, "under review' &"Solved". 

There are more than 5k ideas under gathering support, Inventor team is starting to clean up ideas, the purpose is to make the forum to stay clean and easy to navigate for the voting process to work well, to ensure there is room for new Ideas to be reviewed by the community and for the most relevant and meaningful ones to gain votes. As a consequencewe're going to archive those ideas have been there long time without enough support.

Inventor team value every ideas even these have been archived. This is an open place for the user community, if user want to raise the idea again and try to gain more support, we welcome it. One suggestion is to make the idea well described, it‘s definitely important to get others support.

Thanks again.

Jingyi Liu 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report