Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Browser file name updating when replacing parts from Content Center

Browser file name updating when replacing parts from Content Center

Small improvement here.   With a part placed from Content Center and saved as a Standard part you can right click on it and select to change size.  This will change the size of the part and update the size change in the Model Browser.   If the Content Center part was created as a Custom Part  then the browser will not update and will reflect the old size if you edit the part.

I would like the browser to always update and reflect the proper name after the change.

1.jpg

Insert flat bar 1/4x3/8 12" long

2.jpg

Part name displayed correctly in the tree.

3.jpg

RH click and select change size.

4.jpg

Select 1/4x1 long  and notice that the file name will change.

5.jpg

Now doing this again with a pices of 1/2 flat bar, but inserting it as a custom part the model tree will not update.

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

6 Comments
kim.schroeder
Enthusiast

Yes, this must be fixed!

Mark_Wigan
Collaborator

from my experience, usually placing it as a custom part is allowing the user to type in a special name, not the name out of the content center. in such cases, you do not want the name to change automatically, (but note that the name is not a size call-out, rather a term such as "Cross Member" or "Stiffener Plate").

i am probably misunderstading something, but it seems like you need to be placing these as standard parts if you are wanting the cc engine to force the behaviour you are after.

probably a bit of a pain if you are using it for manufactured items. Often manufactured items get size related descriptions applied in the file properties, rather than the file name. i have found it better to stick with cc parts for things like fasteners that basically just populate a library of custom purchased commercial items. then if you require a different size, you generate a new part, give it a special name, and replace the once you no longer wish to use.).

given that there are various methods being used in different design offices, it could be a solution to provide a "check box" (adjacent to the "place as ... Custom / Standard" radio button) to give the user the choice of maintaining the cc name, even if placing as a custom part. that way the function being requested can be tailored to the users needs. Those that wish the functionality to remain as is will not need to use the option.

steinar.sorem
Advocate

Browser update is need also if just do an normal replace of an part or subassembly. Today we need to use Productivity>Replace Browsernode all the time. Very very timeconsuming and very ofte generating misunderstandings. Autodesk has to fix this, please!

dusan.naus.trz
Advisor

Hi

I guess it is implemented in Inventor 2019.2 But it needs to be verified

dusan.naus.trz
Advisor

Hi @ThomasSwanson 

I was looking at it. Yes, you are right. Inventor does not know. I'm sending a temporary solution. ilogic. The Content Center does not have a name generator as a Inventor 2019.2 frame generator. 

doc = ThisDoc.Document
doc.DisplayName = iProperties.Value("Project", "Part Number")

dusan.naus.trz
Advisor

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report