Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Break Alignment of view without a section mark

Break Alignment of view without a section mark

There are times that I've used the "section" or "project" tools to create additional views. Sometimes, I want to move these views to a place out of alignment. Naturally, I try "break alignment".

Problem - the default section marks that Inventor uses DO NOT MATCH COMPANY STANDARDS AND ARE NOT CUSTOMIZABLE! These section marks automatically turn on when you break alignment and you can't get rid of them!

Please, let us make a projected view or section view become an independent view without a default section mark!

I do not want to have to create an all new base view because I've already done all of the detail work on the view with cropping and dimensioning.

While we are on the subject of customizable section marks, see also: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Custom-section-marks/idc-p/4348508#M2420

5 Comments
Curtis_Waguespack
Consultant

Hi schnautza,

Are you aware that you can break the alignment of a projected view by right-clicking on it and choosing Rotate? Just set an already horizontal edge to be horizontal and it will break the alignment without the section view mark.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Autodesk Inventor Break View Alignment.png

schnautza
Advocate

Well...that's a stupid hidden feature.

Who would have ever guessed that "rotating" something by zero degrees would ever accomplish anything.

Thank you for your solution - I'd like to amend my original post - Let's make breaking alignment without section marks more intuitive and less hidden!

Curtis_Waguespack
Consultant

Hi schnautza,

@schnautza wrote:
Who would have ever guessed that "rotating" something by zero degrees would ever accomplish anything.

Actually I think someone noticed that when they rotated by 90 degrees the aligment was broke, and then thought "I wonder if it'll let me rotate by zero?"  Smiley Wink

I agree with your thought that this should be more discoverable, and will give a kudo in support of that! Smiley Happy

schnautza
Advocate

Curtis - just a note of thanks - you've helped me out several times - if I could give you a +1 for reputation points, I would - but I don't see anywhere to do so!

cwhetten
Advisor

You can also turn off the section / view definition line.  Edit the projected view and go to the Display Options tab, then uncheck the option for "Definition in Base View".  The line will disappear.  You will still need to change the view label, however, since it will be "View A-A" or whatever.

But I agree with you that this functionality could be improved.  It would be nice if there was an option when breaking alignment so you can choose to have a definition line or not, so I give it a vote.

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2012

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report