cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bill of Materials

Bill of Materials

In parts list you can tick "Autosort on update" which is new in Inventor 2015

Part.jpg

Can we have this feature in Bill of Materials as well then we dont have to sort the parts everytime we add or remove parts

bill2.jpg

15 Comments

Set the BOM sort method in the template, or at least make the assy remember the method. Juts like the sort method is remembered in an IDW Parts LIst.

Capture.JPG

jletcher
Advisor

This can be done already after you have your settings export the bom this will hold settings. Now what they need and may be a way I really have not looked into it is to have the saved setting stay. Right now I have to import the saved settings but again have not looked into making it hold the setting.

AnthonyHarris90842
Collaborator

Provide an Auto sort on update within the Assembly Bom.  Such a feature as this would be a great help when adding parts and one doesnt have to do a manual sort each time

Inventor 2.jpg

jletcher
Advisor

I hope you mean 2014 or earlier version. Because talking about 2015 is not permitted as far as I can remember....

karthur1
Mentor

This is not really necessary. Sorting in the assembly BOM is already there.

BOM_List.png

AnthonyHarris90842
Collaborator

@ Karther

What you are suggesting is not automatic and it wont update when you add more parts to the assembly.
So yes its vital that we get that feature so that we dont have to manually update the BOM every time we add new parts

karthur1
Mentor

It does here (2013).  If I add a part to my assembly AND the BOM is sorted, then it stays sorted with the new part.  It will not do this in the idw (it has to be resorted, hopefully that will be added soon), but it does in the assembly BOM like you are talking about.

Try it, but first make sure you have it sorted by a column.

Check this video.  http://screencast.com/t/7VSE2pEVKGd6  I added a part (507102) note how it places it in numerical order.

mikeh7
Collaborator

karther1

I see you don't have the ITEM column included in your BOM.  We sort by part no.but when you add a new part number that falls in the middle of the BOM it gets the next ITEM number in the assembly, so although your part numbers sort correctly the Items are out of sequence.  The current functionality needs to be taken one step farther and the Items renumbered when sorthing by columns other than Item no.

Thanks.

karthur1
Mentor

Sorry, I didnt catch thats what you were saying. I agree with you about the item number.  It not only needs to sort it, but it also needs to renumber the new item number so that its in numerical order.

jletcher
Advisor

A work around for you would to do the drawing parts list send it back to assembly then sort by item number..

DRoam
Mentor

As of Inventor 2015 we now have the option to "Auto sort on update" for parts lists. It would be great if Autodesk would add this option to the Bill of Materials. We would really need two checkboxes-- "Auto sort on update" and "Auto re-number on update". This would be extremely useful for those of us who fill in our BOM fields specifically so they'll sort based on certain properties. We've got it all set up to sort properly, but we have to manually re-sort anytime a part is added or changed.

DRoam
Mentor

There's a similar request here which is a duplicate of this one (the original) but has more votes: Bill of Materials. Hopefully Autodesk will merge the two.

DRoam
Mentor

This is a duplicate of this idea, which is the original but currently has less votes: Sort Bill of materialsHopefully Autodesk will merge the two.

michael
Observer

Hallo Zusammen,

wahrscheinlich ist es schon zu spät, aber da dieses Problem noch immer besteht, versuche ich das Thema auch hier noch einmal anzustoßen.

Eine automatische Sortierung und Speicherung dieser Sortierung ist doch in der Teileliste der Zeichnung schon vorhanden. Was spricht also dagegen, dies in der Stückliste der Baugruppe genauso umzusetzen. Noch schöner wäre es natürlich wenn man die Neunummerierung auch gleich automatisieren könnte.

Ich habe auch schon von einigen iLogic Lösungen gelesen, aber noch keine brauchbare gefunden. Hat hier vielleicht Jemand etwas brauchbares für mich.

mikeh7
Collaborator

I did some googling and playing and have it working on some test files, but this can be done with iLogic.  Does this negate the wish, absolutely not.  This is something that should be built into the product and automatic, Every IDW and IAM created, touched..... requires this to be done and it should be automatic.

With that said I made an external ilogic rule based off this forum post, so a big Kudo's to 

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/parts-list-auto-sort-by-default/m-p/7151605#M647443

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report