Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Binding dimension of the middle line in the sketch without constructing points

Binding dimension of the middle line in the sketch without constructing points

Hello When you create, you can choose constraint to the midpoint of the line, and when you put dimension is impossible. Why not do it for dimension.

Безымянный47.jpg

Безымянный48.jpg

24 Comments
jletcher
Advisor

NO...

Not really needed...

What are you doing that needs this? Do you do it often?

You can always use the center point and place it at the midpoint of the line so you can do this..

niksasa
Collaborator

Let Autodesk decides it is necessary or not.

niksasa
Collaborator

I do not have to think about it. My job is to suggest an idea.

jletcher
Advisor

Sure you have to think about it.

They want ideas that have been thought out not oh I tried to dimension to a mid line and can't so I have an idea... Can you imagine the ideas that would be posted if it was not thought out? Or ask how others do it?

In all the years of using Inventor I might have done that one or two times and it was easy to put a point on it and go..

Even in Autocad I might have done it one or two times...

Just trying to understand why.. In all the years not one has even asked how come they can't do this...

timdown73
Collaborator

Niksasa, Try using the "rectangle two points from center".  That will automatcially give you a centerpoint to dimension from, but honostly I don't know why you couldn't just dimension from corner to corner.  It will still be 10.

niksasa
Collaborator

In solidworks has a team of "select midpoint." Why autodesk this a problem?

Безымянный22.JPG

jletcher
Advisor

Go use Solidworks.

For all the years of Inventor this was never needed.........

There are so many was to do this you don't need a midpoint.

LT.Rusty
Advisor

Not sure why y'all're assuming that rectangles are the only time you'd ever want to dimension from the midpoint of something ... 

I've got a project I'm working on right now where this would be useful.  I've got to lay out a bunch of ribs on something, and their location is dependant upon the midpoint of something else.  Yes, I can manually add a centerpoint, or I can add construction geometry to do it, but it would be quicker to just dimension off the midpoint of a projected line.

jtylerbc
Mentor

I've seen cases as well where I could have used something like this (locating slots, cutouts in plates, etc.).  It is true that it wouldn't introduce anything you can't currently do with existing tools.  I see it as more of a time/click-saving feature, eliminating the need for seperately adding a point to dimension to.

The OP mentioned the fact that some constraints already behave this way (Horizontal and Vertical constraints come to mind).  They do this currently by automatically adding a point coincident to the line's midpoint, essentially automating the manual process of adding a point and constraining to it.

Making these two sketch processes behave similarly, and eliminating a few clicks here and there, sounds like a good thing to me.

Roland
Explorer

I would like to snap the dimensionpoint directly at the midpoint of a line in a sketch.

Now you must first put a workpoint at the middle of the line. Why?

Tags (2)
scottmoyse
Mentor

Currently we have to place a sketch point on the midpoint of lines & arcs so we can dimension to them. Which it's productive and kind of adds an additional point of potential failure.

Please add the ability to dimension directly to the midpoint of 2D Sketch elements. SolidWorks makes you select midpoint from the context menu, if you could go one step further and just provide the  ability to select it onscreen that would be great. Or via Select Other, which is tolerable with a short delay time set in Application Options.

SWx Midpoint Sketch Dim.jpg

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Hi Scott, it seems this Idea is a Duplicate of the following: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/binding-dimension-of-the-middle-line-in-the-sketc... . Please be sure to cast your kudo to the Master Idea.  Thanks! -Dan

DRoam
Mentor

@Roland, this is a duplicate Idea. The original is here (currently 165 votes): Binding dimension of the middle line in the sketch without constructing points.

DRoam
Mentor

Hi all, take a look at the following related idea (currently 37 votes): Sketch: 'Show all Green Dots [Midpoints]' hotkey

danijel.radenkovic
Collaborator

Please work on this problem. This is something that we need.

seton.schiraga
Community Visitor

Holy Moly! yes, PLEASE! and while we are at it, how about a midpoint constraint??

It's the lack of quick detailing that makes inventor work so ponderously slow and frustrating. yes, you can accomplish this with 57 clicks, and adding heavy control points. sure. but why waste time clicking, searching menus and adding geometry when solidworks can do something like this in one click??

Inventor is such a click-heavy POC.

Telson.Hadden
Advocate

This can be accomplished with existing tools, but you can draw a box or slot with lines and arcs, so why do we have a rectangle command, or a slot command?

This is a time saver.  There's a snap there already, let me dimension to it please.

scottmoyse
Mentor
Hold down the shift key and you can snap to it
Telson.Hadden
Advocate

@scottmoyse can you create a screencast of this please?  I just tried holding down the shift key and it doesn't seem to work.  I can snap a line, center, etc to the mid-point, but not a dimension.

scottmoyse
Mentor

@Telson.Hadden sorry I thought this was a Fusion 360 thread when I replied via email. Yeah... this isn't possible in Inventor unbelievably.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report