Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vault status and check out from bom

vault status and check out from bom

so i find my self using the bom quite often to edit iproperties only when a file is not checked out so i have to go do so but would be a lot easier if you could just do this from the bom it would have to have the vault status icons of course as files may need to be refreshed. it could also have columns for categories and state where these could be changed also.

85.JPG

32 Comments
mikejones
Collaborator

When working in the BOM window I'd like to have some Vault integration in there. For instance, when working in the structured BOM I would like to have the ability to checkout a part which I'd like to edit the iProperties on without having to leave the BOM window. A simple RMB click and having Checkout added to the current list of option would be great. Even better, have multi select items in the BOM and check them all out in one go. This would make working in the BOM window so much better.

Please look into it!

Tags (4)
maon
Participant
it can be nice to have possibility check-in/check-out directly from "bill off materials" table.
Tags (3)
maon
Participant

bill of material.jpg

Bazash
Contributor

check out from vault within BOM window

checkout from bom.JPG

Tags (1)
dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Hello, this is a duplicate Idea of the following (http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/bill-of-materials-vault-intergration/idi-p/503910... Please be sure to visit the Master Idea and cast your kudo to it as to not split voites.  Thanks!

scottmoyse
Mentor

This may need to be in the Vault ideastation instead / as well as.

MrSmithtastic
Advocate

Was literally about to post this idea myself! Really annoying not being able to check out in the BOM. It should be a given IMO.

MrSmithtastic
Advocate

check-out in BOM.png

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [US-176307]. Thanks!

I would like to have the option when working in a BOM to check the part out from the BOM window when editing properties from the BOM.

Currently you get an error message but no option to continue.

(image no vault option)

Ideally there should be a "Do you want to check out XX-XXXX-XX.ipt" so you can continue working in the BOM environment.

It is frustrating to have to cancel the editing process open the part, check it out go back to the assembly open the BOM window and find the part to modify the properties.

(image with vault option)

Yes you could open the part check it out and modify the properties directly but once you get into the flow in the BOM window it is a nice slick interface where al the relevant properties are in a single window (not on multiple tabs).

Daren

even.martinsen
Participant

Please open for the ability to check out files when editing the bom. For instance if you want to add a remark to all parts, if 1 part is not checked out of the vault you have to Close the bom, check out the file and do it all over again. Extremely annoying.

Yijiang.Cai
Autodesk

Hi All,

Really appreciated the feedback to us! This requirement is being investigated via development team. And we would like to get more details from you. Based on the comments from you, we would like to check out the selected components from BOM directly, and then update its properties. You may know that the parents & children related to the selected component can be selected/deselected when check out dialog shows, which is the typical Vault check out workflow. If we just want to check out the selected component and do not care about its parent and children, there will be no need to show the check out dialog to select/deselect the parent & children.

So could you have some comments here? Is check out dialog for the parent/children needed here?

Thanks,

River

dan_szymanski
Autodesk

@mikejones@maon@Bazash@scottmoyse@MrSmithtastic@CadManagerMoffatNZ@even.martinsen@alexmende@Ben-Cornelius

Hello Everyone,

We have a question for all of you since you expressed interest in this enhancement. If we were to deliver such a function to check out files from within a Bill Of Materials, would you expect to be presented with additional options, or simply check-out the selected files?

Please vote on which of the following you would prefer:

1. Simply check out the component(s) selected and get on with it.
  2. Present options to include relationships in the check-out [children or parents, as available via the settings button on a traditional check-out].

Thanks in advance for any opinions you can share.
-Dan

CheckOutSettings.png

alexmende
Collaborator

@dan_szymanski

I guess I'd probably vote for option 2 knowing that there may be some situations that require me to get multiple related files, but in most situations, I would just need to get that individual file for the purposes of modifying an iProperty or changing the BOM structure.

Thanks for looking into this!

Alex

Edit: After thinking about this a bit more, I think I'd rather have it be option 1... I guess I'd prefer to just get on with it if the majority of the time I just need a particular file. If I need every sub-file, I can open the assembly separate and check out the sub-files that way.

mikejones
Collaborator

Generally I would just want to check out the selected file and get on with it when working within the BOM editor, typically to change some iProperty  information and then check it back in.

Mike

maon
Participant

i will vote for 1... same as mikejones i would usually use it to change iProperty

even.martinsen
Participant
I vote for 1, to keep it simple. The whole check in/out is annoying enough as it is.
scottmoyse
Mentor
I would be happy with Option 1. As long as you can shift/ctrl highlight multiple rows and do it.
Ben-Cornelius
Collaborator

Option 1 and agree with Scott we have to be able to shift/ctrl highlight multiple rows to do this. This is a problem currently with open and want to be able to copy the components from those rows and paste into another assembly from the BOM. If you could fix these at the same time Great!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report