Inventor IdeaStation
Share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team.
109 Kudos
Raider_007

Better surface modeling inside Inventor

by Distinguished Contributor Raider_007 on ‎11-16-2012 03:35 AM

Hi we have Inventor and Product Design Suite and various other CAD packages. In our team often we have to do some surface modelling and to be honest Inventor just isn’t great at this at all and then we always have to revert back to Solidworks. Construction surfaces are not always enough guys really!

We need surfacing power like in Alias, Solid Works, Catia please!!! And no we don’t want to learn yet another product (Alias) with a completely different way of working and toolbar layout and , and , and… Solidworks has mastered this “One product many functionalities” approach and it works really great. Once you know SW you get into the other stuff easily because the environment is familiar. With Inventor you have to learn the product every time you want to do surface modelling because lets face it, you might not need to do it or use that functionality for months at a time…

Anyway it would be really cool to see the technology, that certainly exists, filter down into Inventor.

Accepted idea. Thanks!
Comments
by Valued Contributor MattH_Work on ‎11-16-2012 04:11 AM

Come on Autodesk, give us T-Splines in Inventor!

Solidworks and Rhino has it so why not the flag ship product of the company that actually owns it?

by Contributor tech on ‎11-16-2012 05:26 AM

Yes that would be really cool as well! And PLEASE not another external program like Fusion and Alias. Put it inside Inventor please.

by Distinguished Contributor DWhiteley on ‎11-17-2012 06:00 AM

I so agree with this one.

I'm sick of being told that there is a financial reason that decent surfacing is not in Inventor!

Yes, I'm sure Adesk can do this, but will it be 10 years too late (just like Tooling was 10 years too late).

by Valued Contributor MattH_Work on ‎11-28-2012 12:56 AM

Unfortunetly, Autodesk seem to think its OK to put T-Splines in Fusion 360 (see http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?id=20884205&siteID=123112 ) and not in the full version. Come on Autodesk, give us the tools in 1 application rather than making us jump through hoops.

by Distinguished Contributor Raider_007 on ‎11-28-2012 01:05 AM
I agree! I saw that as well and we have been holding our breath and hoping that there would be a Labs add-in for T-splines but nothing coming. Autodesk keeps on creating these "pockets" of tools or applications and it's not really helping their existing end-users. It's great for marketing of course... Give us the tools in one application please!!! You have created such a great "platform" in Inventor. Now build one it...
by Valued Contributor fprico on ‎12-21-2012 12:43 PM

totally agree, inventor should have the ability to produce complex surface model like in Catia that is all in one.

by Valued Contributor fprico on ‎12-21-2012 01:01 PM

To me it happend that the transparent surfaces don t let me see anything

by Distinguished Contributor cadman777 ‎01-07-2013 08:02 AM - edited ‎01-07-2013 08:04 AM

I agree w/the need for better surfacing, since I regularly do surfacing in the process industry, in combination w/structural, equipment and machinery.

However, do NOT make it like SW. I use SW and it's "feature rich" but "work-flow poor". SW also has a lot of problems w/their sufacing. It's also VERY difficult to use b/c it's so "scatter brained".

I like the Inventor work-flow, but we need surfacing like RHINO, but function like bi-directional solids modeling.

... Chris

by Employee on ‎01-25-2013 09:29 AM
Status changed to: Under Review

by Valued Contributor fprico ‎03-19-2013 08:05 PM - edited ‎03-19-2013 08:11 PM

I want something similar to Catia V5 or NX UGS in terms of surfacing, inside inventor. Also the freeforming tool in NX seems very flexible and easy to make complex models.

Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

New Idea
You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea.

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube