Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatically transferring settings on upgrade

Automatically transferring settings on upgrade

I don't get why I have to mess about exporting my settings from 3 or 4 places to then have to import them all again on the new version of Inventor when I update. It should be done automatically for me. 

Currently I Have to export:

Application options

Marking menu

Keyboard shortcuts

Ribbon settings

Autocad is even more complicated. 

7 Comments
niksasa
Collaborator

How do you imagine that? I think it's just not realistic,

Jam_Jumpin
Advocate

It's perfectly simple, these settings obviously reside in some kind of customisation file on my HDD so the installer just needs to pull that info and insert it into the new install.

If they can code engineering software, I'm pretty sure they can work out how to pull some settings from an old install into the new install. 

dgorsman
Consultant

Maybe, maybe not.  With new features and new settings, and old settings which are no longer used, the old settings may not be appropriate for a new version.  So its rarely a straight-over copy, whether the information is stored in a configuration file or a registry entry.  It doesn't look like much with an incremental update, but when you consider the most common upgrade path is every two or three releases there may not be a straight-forward migration path for the majority of users.

jletcher
Advisor

I agree with dgorsman on this one.

But they do need to make it easy to transfer standards and IDW templates they are the most important thing in a company. I spend most of my time with clients when they upgrade to a new release transferring the standards and IDW template.

So standards and styles are the 2 that I would say need this to be easy..

PS also hole standards companies set up Hole and thread excel files need to transfer easy also.

Jam_Jumpin
Advocate

Old settings not being compatible is irrelevant. If I export and import manually there is the chance that old settings might not be compatible. 

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [US-51527]. Thanks!

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2019. Special thanks to everyone who cast a vote for it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea