Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing View change color of sub part/assembly through complete drawing

Drawing View change color of sub part/assembly through complete drawing

For our customers we create drawings of our products in their product (Door in Casco Ship).

We want to change the color propertie of the product of our customers in all drawing views to grey.

Therefore we have a beter contrast in our drawing (but it can be used for more solutions).

IdeaStation_ChangeColorBG_Result.jpg

But now we have to manually do that in each drawing view of the complete dwg-file.

IdeaStation_ChangeColorBG.jpg

Is it possible to do this for all drawing views in the complete drawing (all views and all sheets)?

Maybe by an option in de assembly or in the part/assembly file itself.

24 Comments
GavoGarmo
Advocate

It's possible to select a part in a view on a 2D drawing and change the colour of all the lines belonging to that part.

This is really useful, but what would be really good is a way of assigning a line colour to the .ipt/.iam file it's self, so that every time I place a veiw of that part the lines are automatically set to specified colour.

This would also be useful within a single drawing when there are multiple veiws of the same assembly. eg. PartA would always be drawn in Red, PartB would always be green. This would really help distinguishing between parts in complex assemblies. (Which I realise can be done manually but I think it could be done faster with less chance of making mistakes.) Currently, I colour all the parts, but then if I make an additional view, and the new veiw is all in black and needs to be re coloured.

johnkeane440
Enthusiast

This issue is driving me crazy. It would save so much time if i didnt have to edit the properties of each part in a drawing view to change line colour.

David_Early
Enthusiast

In cloudy drawings with a lot of parts it is difficult to recognize the one part from the other, in particular when it is an overall drawing view with a lot of parts/subassembly's, baloons, parts lists.

Therefore,

It would be nice to easily give the drawing-line the same color of the corresponding part or assembly. It is important to have the choice, "corresponding part or assembly".

It would make it a lot easier to make drawings a lot more readable to people who see the machine for the first time ore are not use to reading a drawing.

Greetings

David Early

Tags (3)
HenkdeB
Enthusiast

Or maybe a the solution is to add a Apply to All Views option/butto when you change the color.

Delmeco
Contributor

We got the same problem with "heavy" drawings/ large assemblies. If then changing this colors per part/assembly per view, it looks like work and you must be have a lot of patience.

You can make the casco a reference part/assembly (BOM). Change the styles to what you want and it will be this color or linetype.

I know this isn't exactly what you want. Customizing the style of the reference part/assembly would be appreciated.

HenkdeB
Enthusiast

But the BOM Reference setting has the annoying behavior that it breaks the view around the 'normal' parts/assemblies. Then we loose a part of the view we want to display for our customer.

And the Reference Parts/Assemblies are displayed in hidden/broken lines.

IdeaStation_ChangeColorBG_CompareReference.jpg

Changing the behavior of the Reference setting is also a good solution (But I can't find that in the options).

Or add a custom BOM Structure setting named Background (For Example).

Delmeco
Contributor

Changing the lines/layers is possible in the style editor. You can create a layer with your required color and linetype and refer the reference part edge to that layer.

Style editor reference part edge.png

Breaking the lines or view can be changed in your view settings (in drw environment) by changing the margin (Tab “Model State”).

(after that, you can always crop the view if its too large!). The margin is scaled to the other parts, so an exact view is try and error.

Drawing view-model state.png

This is a solution it will due, also I want more customizing the reference settings e.g. make it visible in the partslist, using the physical properties etc.

Sometimes you have to use some tricks to reach your goal!

salariua
Mentor

I totally agree. The solutions on the internet now are slow and painful.

Here’s how I do it and it’s in no way linked with the model involving a lot of manual work.

http://blog.ads-sol.com/2015/06/drawing-curves-to-match-model.html

HenkdeB
Enthusiast

Delmeco, good tips.

But now I have to change the Margin for all views.

And the Reference setting has some more unwanted behavior.

In the Isometric views the shaded is gone and the parts are displayed a they are transparent.

IdeaStation_ChangeColorBG_Reference.jpg

The Only Solutions are to have more controle over the Reference settings or to apply a line color all over the drawing.

grzegorz.podolewski
Contributor

Hi,

I want it too.

dusan.naus.trz
Advisor

There are Inventor 4 versions here. When will it be? 2020?

dusan.naus.trz
Advisor

Hi. Estimated implementation in?

Video Solidworks 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrybH3AQQ5s

dusan.naus.trz
Advisor
dusan.naus.trz
Advisor
HenkdeB
Enthusiast
@dusan.naus.trz That looks nice
David_Early
Enthusiast
Looks nice indeed.
dusan.naus.trz
Advisor
Hello, Voting does not work on this ideas. Tried it and a colleague also does not work voting. I still see the vote. It should change to Voted and nothing. The error is on the website.
petr.privratsky
Explorer
Hello, I have same problem, voting does not work.
jacob
Community Visitor

I would very much like this feature in inventor, i spend a lot of time on this. 

charlotteL4PC9
Community Visitor

I would very much like this feature in inventor, I spend a lot of time on this. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report