Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thread - External thread in Welded assembly

Thread - External thread in Welded assembly

Hello,

I would like to have thread feature in the assembly environment. 

Thanks

Dan

117 Comments
The_Angry_Elf
Advisor

I haven't seen this posted here as of yet but have seen numerous posts and requests for the ability to add threads within the assembly environment since about 2008.

A co-worker ran across this issue just this morning and aside from having to do a derived part or use multi-bodies to accomplish his needs, why can't we simply have the ability to insert/create a thread feature at the assembly level?

This would support real world processes would it not? And isn't that the way most would prefer to model their parts/assemblies as?

How bout it ADesk, can we get some love on this matter? 2008 was a long time ago in software terms.

gusi_cl
Advocate

I asked too, so isn't it a machining tool?

It's frequent to weld together shaft AND AFTER apply milling and thread.

The_Angry_Elf
Advisor

I would say it is no doubt a machining process, yes. But it is or should be offered at the assembly level not just at the part level.

There are many times where threads are created at the assembly level, so why aren't we able to do such?

jwallin
Contributor

Internal and external threads would be good.

I had a work around involving derived components to add threads, it was confusing to anyone downstream as well as to myself six months later.

JamesLodge01
Enthusiast

Recently a customer has asked for assistence with the machining functions in Weldments. We quickly realised that the Thread and Helix command were not available. Could these functions be added to make the two commands usable when executing the machine function?

Tags (4)
dwweekly
Advocate

Yes! It is very common, I have shafts that have a flange welded on them. Operation is ALWAYS to weld THEN machine faces, and diameters, and threads. I find it silly that it has not been addressed sooner.View_27.jpg

iUser
Advocate

Yes I completely agree with this!! We always have to work around this problem on a daily basis. I was really suprised the first time I noticed this, because the option is there, but it is grayed out. Please switch it on for us guys!

g.belfi
Explorer
dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Hello jlee, I am marking your Idea as duplicate of the following Idea:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/thread-external-thread-in-welded-assembly/idc-p/3...

Please be sure to cast your kudo to the Master Idea as to not split votes.  Thanks!  -Dan

dan_szymanski
Autodesk

Hello joflaherty, I am marking your Idea as duplicate of the following Idea:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/thread-external-thread-in-welded-assembly/idc-p/3...

Please be sure to cast your kudo to the Master Idea as to not split votes.  Thanks!  -Dan

dan_szymanski
Autodesk

Hello james.lodge, I am marking your Idea as duplicate of the following Idea:

scottmoyse
Mentor

We have customers here in NZ which are equally baffled by this ommision. 

info
Explorer

This is not possible at the moment and this is very annoying. Check screenshot below.

thread feature.JPG

Tags (3)
lennart.losjo
Enthusiast
Follow
Nik_Barbour
Enthusiast

Lost count of how many times I have wanted to put threads into an assembly feature. Instead I have to use a derived part which botches my BOM structure and has to be overridden. This should be added to Inventor as a high priority in my personal opinion.

dan_butler_komatsu
Enthusiast

This is a great idea, we need this as well.

DRoam
Mentor

Why would you need to machine out the thread as a part of the post-welding process? Why not create the thread feature in the part itself rather than at the weldment-level?

dan_butler_komatsu
Enthusiast
If the assembly is a weldment, and the detail, or bar, in question is not finished at the weldment stage, then it would have to be turned afterwards with other machining. This is a very likely scenario. The round would be machined at final machining and the threads would have to be added at that time. Threading the rod ahead of time may cause the threaded portion of the assembly to be out of spec with other parts of the final machining.

This electronic mail transmission contains information from Joy Global Inc. which is confidential, and is intended only for the use of the proper Addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately at the return address on this transmission, and delete this message and any attachments from your system. Unauthorized use, copying, disclosing, distributing, or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this transmission is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Privacy-JGI
mikeh4
Collaborator

Another reason is if a part is made of 2 parts, then you'd have to machine 2 parts vs. machining 1 weldment.  As mentioned above easier and more efficient to machine 1 time to hold tolerances/specs.  (i.e. keeping a flange for a wheel mount square to an axle/shaft).

Thanks

bleeftink
Participant

We are missing this aswell

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report