Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Array along a path

Array along a path

I seem to remember that in Autocad we could array an item (or more) along a path. I truly miss this in Inventor. I often work with custom parts along a chain or a hole patern in a belt Getting these to line up properly spaced along the path ot het chain or belt is just so near imposible a waste of time. especialy every time the path needs to get altered a bit.

4 Comments
marshallw
Advocate

Array in an assembly or array a feature in a part? If attempting to array a feature in a part, just create the feature, then create a new (2D or 3D) sketch that intersects the feature. Then do a RECTANGULAR array (single row ONLY) -- pick the feature to be arrayed, then pick the path sketch. If the distances between objects are made parametric with respect to path length, they will adjust as the path length or position changes.

n.schotten
Advocate

Hi Marshallw.

Both for part and assembly.

And a path is not a straight line but multiple lines&curves. most likely a clossed loop.

So i doubt a rectangular array would work. the selected path you talk about is just the direction vector.

Making the array parametric is not the real issue here.

jtylerbc
Mentor

n.shotten,

The direction vector becomes a "pattern along curve" if you select sketch geometry as the path.  It may seem like an odd way to implement it, but marshallw's description is correct, at least for features in parts.

I don't believe it is possible to use this technique for patterning parts in an assembly.  However, if you have a pattern of parts that matches up to a pattern of features in a part (ex. bolts in holes), then you might be able to use this method to create the feature, and set the assembly pattern to follow the feature pattern.

n.schotten
Advocate

Hi jtylerbv,

I tried it on the vacuum belt i currently have under works... It does indeed select the loop and patern along it. but it does not workout to well (in this case). I'll invest some more time experimenting woth it. But it still leaves the issue of the patern array of parts/sub asm's in asm's.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report