Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Angular Ordinate dimensions

Angular Ordinate dimensions

When producing orientation drawing for tanks etc it gets messy very quickly using conventional angular dimensions. That's why there is a need for angular ordinate dimensions currently I do this using the ordinate dimension then over riding the value then importing the parameter needed so its linked but this is time consuming. Please add

75.JPG

45 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

We currently use Inventor to design and detail tanks for fabrication.  Current practice is to dimension the angular position of fittings used on the vessel from a 0deg position on the tank.  I would like to see a radial dimension command similar to the ordinate dimension set command where you could define a 0deg position on a circular reference in the idw, then define the angular position from the zero position.  We currently have a workaround where we dimension the angle from a sketch line, and then use a custom dimension style to hide the leaders.  Very clutzy to work with.

Tags (1)
jletcher
Advisor

Do you have a picture of what you are asking for?

I don't get what you are after....

This sounds like it can be done I have a client that does tanks he never had any issues like this maybe I can see how you do it or want and see if it is the same.

Anonymous
Not applicable

tank top.JPG

mrdeanosid
Advocate

When i come to dim something up in a plan view cant seem to be able to get the angles starting from a datum point.  E.g starting at zero and working clockwise back to 360°/0°  really need this as at moment its doing manually and can cuase fabrication errors when someone enters wrong text and a hole gets cut in the wrong orientation  also with the angle measurement should be able to get an arc length too so the fabricators dont have to use the calculator

PaulMunford
Autodesk
I'm sure we can help. Can you post a file or screen shot?

Also - check out this thread:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-general-discussion/making-a-flat-layout-to-dimension/td-p/275...
mcgyvr
Consultant

Same as this idea..

Autodesk please combine or something..

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/radial-dimensioning-in-idw/idi-p/4529849

mcgyvr
Consultant

Same as this idea

Autodesk please combine or something..

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/angular-ordinate-dimensions/idc-p/6043274

dhaval3112
Advocate

In 2d (idw) file there is no option for showing true orientation. Like one hole at 0° another at 32° ...... to 360° continious. 

We can not use angular dimension for so many holes. we have to shown like text (without leader & line) and there is chance to mistake to make it mannualy.

DRoam
Mentor

What you're requesting is called "angular ordinate dimensions". There's already a request for that here: Angular Ordinate dimensions. Please cast your vote for the existing idea so as not to water down votes between two posts!

DRoam
Mentor

This is definitely lacking in Inventor. We have linear ordinate dimensions, we really need angular ordinate dimensions as well. We too design tanks, and before we switched to Inventor, we used angular ordinate dimensions in our AutoCAD drawings. Now that we've switched, dimensioning our nozzles and fittings has become much more messy, time-consuming, and prone to error.

DRoam
Mentor

@mrdeanosid, another term for the type of dimension you're needing is "angular ordinate dimensions". It would be similar to the "Ordinate dimension" tool already in Inventor, but would work for angular dimensions rather than linear. If you're still in need of this, I recommend voting for this idea, which has gained a decent amount of support: Idea: Angular Ordinate dimensions.

I'd also recommend commenting on that idea and re-stating what you said about arc lengths. I agree that would be a very valuable functionality to have in the angular ordinate dimension tool. Smiley Happy

chrisLVM92
Explorer
Do Autodesk have any intentions on adding this feature? We design tanks and vessels as well and this is a big sticking point in the 2D vs 3D methods of drawing up tanks
jfischer5TKHE
Explorer

I am with another manufacturer that designs custom tanks and chambers, and this feature would be a massive time saver as we dimension all of our ports in this manner, but currently it is extremely time consuming and clumsy. Please include this feature!!

DRoam
Mentor

@Discussion_Admin, please merge the following duplicates into this Idea:

kk.chong
Participant

any update now?

kk.chong
Participant

@Discussion_Admin Hello, can you hear us?

r_werf
Explorer

Hello,

Please introduce the angular running dimension.

cbenner
Mentor

All right, throwing my hat into the ring on this one.  Anyone who produces tank drawings will need the ability to create this type of dimension scheme.  It is the standard for tank design, especially for nozzle locations.  All of the discussed workarounds, and my own half baked workarounds all stink.

mrdelicious2
Advocate

Angle Ordinate Dimensions

+1 Here...

kk.chong
Participant
No action was taken by autodesk anyhow :<

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report