Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Angle notch/coping

Angle notch/coping

When notching a structural member against another structural member you essentially get an extrusion of the second shapes profile. The problem is, if you're going to start making part drawings, you'll be showing all these wonky edge protrusions created from the radius edges of the trim profile as seen in the first image. Odds are this will be cut on a nibbler or band saw and it will look much closer to the second image. I'd like to see this tool revised or a supplementary tool added to created trimmed members as they would be made in production.

Our fab shop will receive a weldment assembly drawing with a note "cope as req'd" on the angles and I don't need to go into this much detail...but on occasion we've sent out large batches angles/tube to be cut and I'd have to go through creating multiple extra extrusions at each end (or mirroring one end) to make sure we don't have problems.

Bottom line a notched angle would not look like the Inventor tool notches them.

Bad cope on angle

Good cope on angle

3 Comments
laptop_geek
Advocate

This would be a very helpful feature as I offen need to go back and delete the "wonky edge" by making multiple extra extrusions. 

karthur1
Mentor

Agree, this would be a helpful addition because we have to do the same thing. Might be a little difficult to do though, b/c everyone would want it a little different.  but anything would be better than what we have now.

In the meantime, look at using the delete face command (check Heal option), then add the "k"fillet back in the corner of the leg.  I find this more stable/quicker than doing a sketch and then extruding.

steve.west
Advocate

I agree. On frame drawings, these rogue edges show up in hidden detail, and I usually have to go in and hide these lines on the drawings. Another issue is when you are notching two members together with different web thicknesses. Inventor leaves a 1 or 2mm sliver of web which in reality would be cut away.

KNowing how inventor works, I'm sure this would not be easy, but if it could be done then it would be an excellent addition.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report