Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow workpoints/workplanes to be projected into an .idw sketch

Allow workpoints/workplanes to be projected into an .idw sketch

When creating a drawing, it is possible to created a sketch on a specific component view.  At present, you can not project workpoints or workplanes into that sketch.  It would be very useful to have this functionality enable, it would be particularly useful when detailing compound angle views from tooling references.

9 Comments
mrattray
Advisor

Have you tried using the "Include" command to bring the work plane or point into the view and projecting that? I use work planes in drawings regularly to represent pit geometery for customer drawings of machinery.

Northcott
Participant

Yes, workplain/workaxis have been included and show in the drawing view, however it is not possible to project them in the .idw.  Another example of when this would be useful is the detailing of a lofted section.  If you need to created a 'section' view in te .idw, it would be useful be able to edit the secton sketch and project the relevant workplane used to create the loft. It would then be possible to constrain the section line to this workplane.

ic198
Advocate

When creating a sketch on a view in an IDW Drawing, you can Project geometry in the view but you cannot project workplanes, points or Origin planes, even if they are already included in the view. I usually use sketches on drawing views to set the location of Section views and I generally want the section view to be a set distance from the Origin- dimensioning to Origin planes would be the fastest and most secure way to do this. Please add the option to project construction geometry into these sketches.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

My apologies - this is not a duplicate.  Accepted idea [US21110]. Thanks!

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Deleted previous comment about this being a duplicate. Accepted idea [US21110]. Thanks!
dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted
Accepted idea [US21110]. Thanks!
dan_szymanski
Autodesk
This idea is a duplicate of http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/ideas/v2/ideapage/blog-id/v1232/article-id/1541 which is Accepted [US21110]. It was logged over 6 months earlier and has 4 additional kudos so I am marking that one as the Master. Please be sure to cast a kudo to the other Idea if you haven't yet already to avoid splitting the kudos. Thanks!
scottmoyse
Mentor

I have needed this so many times to include dimensions to reference planes inside boats & buildings.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2016. Special thanks to the author of this Idea and likewise to everyone who cast your Kudo for it.  Give it a try!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report