Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow the user to tun off the mini-toolbars / in canvas tools

Allow the user to tun off the mini-toolbars / in canvas tools

Unfortunately, Autodesk has not provided the ability to turn off the mini toolbars, so we're stuck with the current strange Jekyll and Hyde interface, which is cluttered, distracting and in many cases incomplete.

Most user would benifit from being able to use either the dialog interface or the mini-toolbars, but having both is a problem.

Currently the best we can do is roll up the dialog box:

33 Comments
quinn
Participant

This idea shows as "Accepted" on 2013-03-14. It's January 2015, and not a peep from Autodesk since then about it?

In many cases, the mini toolbars just don't cut it for me. It's more clicks to get to the tool I need - if it's there at all - and discoverability suffers. If I were running Inventor on a smartphone, then perhaps I would learn to love them. In my real world, though, it's just a distraction I'd like to be able to get rid of.

mcgyvr
Consultant

Come on.. Can't be that hard..

Just give us a check box in application options 

"Annoy me with unfinished dialog boxes that haven't been addressed in multiple releases" (Yes/No) 

Smiley Tongue

jdm308
Enthusiast

I agree. I would love an option to completely disable the "In-canvas display". On one computer I have locked it to the bottom corner of the screen. But on another, not matter how many times I lock it out of the way, it keeps popping back up, in my way. It is VERY annoying.

Greatwhitenorth
Collaborator

Hopefully it's an option in the 2017 version!

Marco.Takx
Mentor

@bstewart no there isn't a option within Inventor 2017 😞

quinn
Participant

It's a disappointment to learn that, 3+ years after the suggestion was posted, this wish STILL hasn't been granted.

Ugh!

DRoam
Mentor

This has finally been implemented in R2 of Inventor 2017.

Unfortunately, it's sort of only half-way because we can only choose to turn off the Mini-Toolbars. Anyone else who would like the option of keeping the Mini-Toolbars and turning off the in-canvas tools instead?

dusan.naus.trz
Advisor
dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2018. Special thanks to everyone who cast a vote for it.  The option to enable or disable Mini-toolbars is available on the Ribbon, View panel > User Interface panel > Mini-toolbar check box.

geargirl2951
Enthusiast

I am using Inventor 2017 and see this issue has been going on for some time.  What a shame.  I want to keep the dialog box since everything is right there.  I do not want to use multiple drop downs to find what I need, provided it's there. How many times can I vote?

dan_szymanski
Autodesk

Hi @geargirl2951,

There is no need to vote any longer for this Idea as the request has been implemented within the Inventor 2018 release. Unfortunately the enhancement that was made in 2018 cannot be back-ported to 2017, so the only way you will be able to realize the change is by utilizing Autodesk Inventor 2018.

Regards,

kimK7B54
Advocate

If this was accepted March 2013, why is it still not fixed 5 years later?  Come on AutoDesk!  This is pathetic.

jingyi.liu
Alumni

Hi 

Thanks for your feedback, as you noticed that there is an option for Inventor 2017 R2 to turn off mini toolbar. Unfortunately, there are still some commands only have mini toolbar, like direct edit, MBD,  we can't eliminate them all at this moment. It's on our radar to consolidate UI , but it needs much time and efforts.

Regards,

Jingyi

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report