Inventor IdeaStation
Share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team.
115 Kudos
Curtis_Waguespack

Allow the user to tun off the mini-toolbars / in canvas tools

by *Expert Elite* on ‎11-29-2012 07:43 AM

Unfortunately, Autodesk has not provided the ability to turn off the mini toolbars, so we're stuck with the current strange Jekyll and Hyde interface, which is cluttered, distracting and in many cases incomplete.

Most user would benifit from being able to use either the dialog interface or the mini-toolbars, but having both is a problem.

Currently the best we can do is roll up the dialog box:

Accepted idea [US9876]. Thanks!
Comments
by Contributor KevinBurrows on ‎11-29-2012 09:58 AM
Actually, you can turn off the mini toolbars. Autodesk calls them the Marking Menus. From the wikihelp for Inventor: Note To disable the marking menu, select View tab->Windows panel ->User Interface, and on the drop-down menu, clear the Marking Menu check box. I found this by going to http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/inventor and searching for "marking menu". That will lead you to this page: http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2013/Help/1310-Autodesk1310/1364-Fundamen1364/1416-Modelin... Read through the topics there to learn more about how to control and customize the marking menus. Now, since marking menus seem to be the way of the future, it would be great to be able to turn off the old dialog boxes for commands which have marking menus, but I haven't done a search for that yet. :smileyhappy:
by *Expert Elite* ‎11-29-2012 10:12 AM - edited ‎11-29-2012 10:12 AM

Hi KevinBurrows,

The marking menus are different than the mini-toolbars / in canvas tools that I am referring to. I refer to the option you mention here:

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/2011/04/bring-back-classic-right-click-menu-in.html

But I'm not aware of a way to disable the mini toolbars or the dialog boxes, and so we are stuck using both, which as I mentioned causes some issues.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

by *Pro on ‎11-29-2012 10:38 AM

Don't worry Curtis 2014 no more dialog just minis'

by *Expert Elite* on ‎12-01-2012 06:35 AM

i aggree, i would like to disable the mini tool bar if it was possible. it only gets in the way for me.

speaking of that, on a closely related topic, the other thing that gets in the way is the select other miniature scroll bar... it would not be so bad if it stayed out of the way when you drag it out of the the way.

you cannot see anything if it sits directly on what you are trying to select! (i will start a new idea if this is too much of an idea hijack...)

by *Expert Elite* on ‎12-03-2012 02:34 PM

The mini toolbar things absolutely are an annoyance.  Every time I start doing a large group of fillets, when the tool bar moves after clicking an edge, it almost INVARIABLY winds up covering the next spot that I need to click on.

I wound up freezing the mini toolbars in position, and then dragging them off to my second monitor.  Me and my full-size dialog boxes can now be happy together without that third wheel hanging around.

by Valued Mentor on ‎12-19-2012 06:42 AM

Couldn't agree more. They are in no way robust enough to provide any reasonable function in most of your work. 

by Employee on ‎02-06-2013 01:30 PM
Status changed to: Under Review
This project [US9876] is under review by the development team.
by Valued Contributor QuasiMojo on ‎02-15-2013 05:24 PM

Also, some menus (e.g., Inventor Studio) automatically roll-up without any way of disabling that, which makes me feel like the software is having seizures.  Death to the mini-toolbar!

by Employee on ‎03-14-2013 07:56 AM
Status changed to: Accepted
Accepted idea [US9876]. Thanks!
by *Expert Elite* on ‎04-03-2013 05:43 AM

Being forced to have both the mini toolbars and dialog boxes is silly, but please don't fix this by removing the dialog boxes and leaving me stuck with those silly, shiny, rainbow-fart mini toolbars. There's nothing wrong with dialog boxes.

Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

New Idea
You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea.

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube