Inventor IdeaStation
Share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team.
7 Kudos
DVDM

Allow parts to be flexible

by Valued Contributor DVDM on ‎04-04-2013 10:56 PM

I recently made a model of marshmellow spring. It is one part with one part number, and one drawing.

It had a datasheet that specified uncompressed length, and maximum allowed compression.

At the assembly level, I needed to show this marshmellow spring in its compressed state, with a compression based on design calculations.

I made this part into an iPart with the full range of spring compressions to make this happen.

Instead I would rather have a single part that allows a defined range of flexibility, much like how I can set assemblies to flexible.

Comments
by *Pro on ‎04-05-2013 04:49 AM

You do know you can make the spring adaptive.

There is a video on you tube to show you how..

by Valued Contributor DVDM on ‎04-05-2013 05:12 AM

Yes, it's just that I hate adaptivity and it's slowness that it causes as assemblies get bigger.

Also, adaptivity doesn't allow me to define limits for the range of motion.

I would like it if for the part at the assembly level I could simply pick values for certain parameters and have it appear in that configuration in the assembly. A lot more robust than adaptivity, a lot smarter than adaptivity (design intent built into the part), no need for multiple components representing the same part numbers, no need to make extensive iPart tables.

by *Pro on ‎04-05-2013 05:57 AM

Have you tried to use it with ilogic? This may be a good way to go for you then.. You could have a form pop up ask what setting you want then all spring would update. I have a spring with ilogic using a slider bar works real nice...

I have air bags set up the same way..

by Valued Contributor DVDM on ‎04-05-2013 06:37 AM

I really like those iLogic forms and its sliders with limits and increments, but have only played with it because in production I'm still on Inventor 2010. Moving to 2012 this year.

The concept of those forms would work very well for this, but what doesn't work is that it is still a normal part file that can not appear different in two separate assemblies. If the design is standalone, and you only need it in that one configuration, then that works.

But in my caes these parts need to be shared across teams, managed by PDM software, and linked to ERP systems, so I can't allow duplication of parts that are essentially the same material. iParts allow me to do this, but their structure of parent/child files can be a real headache with PDM (Vault), and making configurations through the table isn't very natural for situations like these.

I can understand that Inventor needs to generate and save each configuration of a part as it is used in an assembly, which is why the children for iparts exist I suppose, and this proposed flexible part would have to do the same in the end. Still, the method of making the variation would be much nicer is if it was as per iLogic forms and sliders.

by Distinguished Contributor FProcp on ‎04-14-2013 04:25 PM

I think you should able to create multi-value dimensions in your part and then save sets of mvd's like you save LOD's. Then you can select different mvd sets when you insert your part. Your part will come in with what-ever dimension sets you've chosen which gives different sizes of same part.

Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

New Idea
You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea.

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube