Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow Parts List to show correct quantities based on Design View Reps

Allow Parts List to show correct quantities based on Design View Reps

Its great that we can use the Parts List filter to work with View Reps - however this cannot control the quantity column of the parts list.

For example, if Assembly X has 10 instances of Part A placed inside it:

- ViewRep 1 has 5 instances of Part A visible.

- ViewRep 2 has 3 instances of Part A visible.

In the drawing, when using the Parts List filter and choosing ViewRep 1 as a filter, then quantity column for Part A should reflect 5. When choosing ViewRep 2 as a filter, then the quantity column for Part A should reflect 3.

While iAssemblies will acheive the same result, it is sometimes too much work to configure to get what would be a very simple result.

19 Comments
lkrenzler
Collaborator

Absolutely!!!  Can't believe it doesn't.  +1 for this fix!!!

Mark_Wigan
Collaborator

maybe it could be a "checkbox" option. (force Qty to match view representation visibility of items) ?

there are several ways to detail so i wonder if it also may depend on whether you have a single parts list to represent all the various views you wish to show on your drawing, or, whether each view has its own dedicated parts list.

clastrilla
Advocate

Even better Mark!

karthur1
Mentor

It would be great to be able to do this.

mikeh7
Collaborator

To take it 1 step further filter with a difference.  By this I'm thinking of 1 sheet or view rep per stage of assembly.  That way mfg. and the assembly guys know exactly what parts are needed at that stage of assembly.

So:
View Rep 1 we assemble this group of parts.

View Rep 2 we assemble this group of parts.

View Rep 3 we assemble the 2 groups of parts to each other by using a few pairs of nuts and bolts.

BOM for View Rep 1 are those exclusive those parts

BOM for View Rep 2 are those exclusive those parts

BOM for View Rep 3 only shows the  nuts and bolts (Basically the only new parts)

This gives a running talley of what and how many of those parts are consumed at that given stage or sheet.

When generating the BOM you pick "Beginning View Reps" which you'd pick #1 and #2, and then select the current view rep #3 so it does the math of #3 - #2 - #1 = your BOM for that stage.

Thanks

You would still need a total Machine BOM just to check that the sum of all the view rep BOMs matches your total.

jweiss1313
Collaborator

Why would you provide a filter by design rep if you don't adjust the component quantities to reflect what is visible in the vew rep.  Creating an iAssembly is not the answer.  We have one complete assembly of a product.  We are trying to use design reps to create assembly drawings at various states of assembly.  I want to be able to put a parts list on my drawing that correlate the visible parts in a particular design rep.  The filter is an excellent idea but falls short of expectations because it doesn't affect quantities.  I feel this is a big disconnect between end user expectations and programmer adding valuable features.  Why does the filter have enough smarts to remove invisible components who's quantitiy end up as zero, but it can't update quantities based on what is visible in a design rep?

John C Weiss Jr.
CAD Administrator
Follett Corporation
karthur1
Mentor

Agree, this is a much needed functionality.  Is this not a duplicate for the idea already posted here?

STRIKER-360
Participant

Hi all,

Just adding my cheer to this thread!!!

This is something that would save so much time!

I also wouldn't mind having a few more options on the drawing parts list filters. Filter by iProperties, custom iProperties, parameters?

Cheers

miechh
Collaborator

Great ideas!!!! You all have my support. Hope Autodesk looks into this.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Hello jweiss, I am marking your Idea as duplicate of the following idea:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/allow-parts-list-to-show-correct-quantities-based...

Please be sure to cast your kudo to the Master Idea as to not split votes.  Thanks!  -Dan

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [US-53086]. Thanks!

Fallow
Participant
Agree. Would be great if this could be implemented quickly as it is affecting our projects.
LukeDavenport
Collaborator

Striker-360, you can filter by iProperties (custom or otherwise) using this addin for Inventor on the apps store:

https://apps.exchange.autodesk.com/INVNTOR/en/Detail/Index?id=appstore.exchange.autodesk.com%3aviewr...

eucci
Advocate

Count me in! Please fix this defect!

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2017. A new "Adjust QTY" option is added to the Design View Filter for a Parts List in a drawing. The Adjust QTY option is accessible through the Filter Settings dialog box. Special thanks to everyone who cast a vote for it.

eucci
Advocate
Thank You! It's good to know someone is listening.

Sent from my iPad
clastrilla
Advocate

Thanks Dan! Can't wait to try it out!

gphillips
Participant

Do not see it in Inventor 2017

GreggBattaglia
Participant

In using the new filter implemented in 2017, is it possible to have multiple quantity columns in a single parts list and have each quantity column populate for different design view reps (DVR)?

For instance:

You have 'Assembly A' with three (3) DVR's; -1, -2 and -3.

In the IDW can you add a parts list using the -1 DVR view as the source for the parts list. Then edit the parts list adding the -1, -2, -3 quantity columns to it so that the -1 column shows the quantity of the -1 DVR?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report