Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom alignment direction for Aligned Dimensions

Custom alignment direction for Aligned Dimensions

I added this post to the Inventor forum hoping I was missing something. It appears I'm not.

There needs to be better controls to place aligned dimensions. I mentioned in the original post that a UCS change (like in Autocad) could do it but I now feel that Inventor should just have a RMB option to select an edge to align the dimension to.

ALIGNED_PARALLEL_DIM.png

36 Comments
Burnett-al
Participant

It would be nice to be able to have the dimension type be automated so that is you are dimensioning close to the perpendicular centerline you will get an aligned dimension instead of a vertical or horizontal dimension.  This will save time from having to make more clicks on the line or selecting from the right click menu.

Tags (2)
johnstda
Enthusiast

Sometimes when I dimension between 2 points, I don't always want to use the default direction that the Alignment dimension type provides (i.e. the line connecting to the 2 points). A somewhat useful option is to select the the line / direction that the dimension is applied in, which may be entirely separate from the 2 points.

It's hard to explain, so I've attached 2 pictures of what I'm trying to express. "Not quite", is the default alignment direction, which although correct, is not always appropriate. In the 2nd picture, I've annotated the dimension between the 2 points in a direction parallel to the blue line. This is required to calculate the length of timber I need to start with before I start cutting the angles on the top and bottom (i.e. the timber runs along the blue line axis).

So maybe a 4th option could be "Custom Aligned", whereby the user selects a line on the drawing which determines the alignment direction.

Tags (4)
SMPConsulting
Advocate

I'd like to bump this thread because I'd like to know the answer too. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

johnstda
Enthusiast
What do you mean by "bump this thread"?

david
SMPConsulting
Advocate

push it back up to the top of the index in the hope that a someone wil post a solution

johnstda
Enthusiast
Oh i see. Thanks. It's something that's been bugging me a lot.

David
SMPConsulting
Advocate

I just realised that this thread is posted in the ideas station and not the general Inventor forum. You might get a better response if you post it over there.

johnstda
Enthusiast
Okay, thanks

David
Namoi1
Advocate

need this option in sketch and drawing

johnstda
Enthusiast
Yes, my thoughts exactly.

David
Retselnitram
Advocate

I would like if you could right click and align dimension perpendicular to line.

Right now you have to go into sketch mode and draw a line perlendicular then go out of sketch mode and apply the dimension

Below the numbers in red is what you get currently. The number in yellow is what we want.

mrattray
Advisor

I think "parallel to a line" is what you meant.

jletcher
Advisor

OK I will try again..

Try this,

Place center marks in on the lower tab center mark right click pick edit then align to edge, center mark will rotate. Then you can pick the center top hole and line of the center mark on the lower and it will give you what you seek..

Align.JPG

Also you could add a center line to the tab..

Align 2.JPG

Both can be used by standards if you use standards..

Your way I would not be allowed to do because of standards..

jletcher
Advisor

P.S.

Please leave AutoCad out of Inventor...............

sps_cad_guy
Advocate

I am very surprised this idea hasn't gotten more kudos.

This is a very commonly used dimension that is a real pain to do the way Inventor is at the moment.

magnus.damgren
Enthusiast

jletcher, you have a point in this case, but there are many other cases where workarounds are painful and time consuming. 

Marco.Takx
Mentor

Easiest workaround is to create this dimension within the sketch and use Retrieve Dimension to add the dimension on drawing.

2015-03-18_14-18-29.jpg 

stuartmp
Advocate

I agree with brendan, it would be good to see the a feature where by we can create rotated dimension's.

I like jletcher suggestion and I will use that when I can. (Not all parts have a square are to align)

I usually just create a sketch then and a small line segment to give me the angle I need.

Then select this line when creating the rotated dimension's.

poeschmann
Explorer

Wenn man in einer Zeichnung ein Maß (z.B. an einem abgewinkelten Blech) anträgt, so kann man die Maßlinie nicht parallel zu Körperkante definieren (siehe Bild). Dazu benötigt man Hilfskonstruktionen. In der Bleckkonstruktion wird dies täglich benötigt, deshalb wäre es wünscheswert, wenn man ein solches Maß einfach und ohne zusätzliche Geometrie erstellen könnte. Beim Erstellen einer Bemaßung, gibt es ja die Option "Ausgerichtet". Dies ist (wie im Bild dargestellt (13,4) - Auswahl von Schnittpunkten) immer der kleinste Abstand zwischen den gewählten Punkten. Hier sollte eine Möglichkeit für die Selektion einer Körperkante gegeben sein, damit die Antragung des korrekten Maßes möglich ist.Bemaßung.png

r.lehmann79
Advocate

Hallo poeschmann

Tolle Idee! Ich frage mich gerade, warum ich das noch nicht selber geposted habe, da ich ja auch des öfteren dieses Problem habe.

Ich habe die idea station mal in englischer Sprache nach dem Thema durchsucht; die Idee gibt es auch schon an anderer Stelle, hat schon 39 Kudos:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/align-dimension-perpendicular-to-a-line/idi-p/508...

Bitte gib deine Stimme auch an dieser Stelle ab, ich denke das ist die "Master-Idee"

Viele Grüße

Ralf Lehmann

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report