Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add "Aligned Orientation" option to Break View

Add "Aligned Orientation" option to Break View

Ever had a drawing where you wanted an aligned to edge orientation for a break view? I have!!!

If yes, please vote to add this simple yet highly effective functionality I feel has always been missing.

Example. Bent piece of pipe that I wanted to put on a B size drawing and in full scale. Can't use the Break tool on the bent section and keep the break aligned how I want it due to limitation of only Vertical or Horizontal Break orientation....

BREAK1.jpg

Result of horizontal break. Not nice to look at in this case is it?

BREAK3.jpg

My proposed fancy new "Aligned" orientation button....

BREAK2ALIGNED.jpg

You would use Edge selection to select the edge you want your Break to be perpendicular to (or possibly ability to edit the Break properties at the sketch level?).....

BREAKper2.jpg

The end result would be a MUCH nicer and desired result....

break4.jpg

56 Comments
kwilson_design
Collaborator

Thanks Autodesk for listening to its users!

kwilson_design
Collaborator

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who gave kudos to this idea! It has remained steadily as one of the top hot ideas so hopefully we will see this feature added in the next release.

Thanks again for your support.

Kenny

EECLTD
Enthusiast

Elinminate the limitation in break view. Inventor supports horizontal break and vertical break. It does not do aligned break unfortunately.

Joel Schmechel

Autodesk Inventor Professional 2015, Build 203

Windows 7 Professional SP1 

HP Z820 Workstation

Intel Xeon CPU E5-2643 v2 @3.50GHz 3.50 GHz 

64 GB of Ram

GeForce GTX 780Ti

Tags (2)
JBerns
Advisor

Joel,

This suggestion appears similar to this previously posted idea:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/add-quot-aligned-orientation-quot-option-to-break...

I am not certain why the previous idea is no longer listed on the Top Ideas page. Perhaps because it has been accepted. Still, a great suggestion and thanks for posting.

Regards,

Jerry

EECLTD
Enthusiast

114 pages of these idea options. Ive posted this back in 2009 and it never made it anywhere. Just putting it up again.

Joel

asiu
Advocate

Hi Autodesk forum moderators,

I suggested structuring the information in this forum some time ago, you can search for my idea.

I've seen many duplicates since then, many ideas are already buried and no activity seems to happen on your end in the last 4-5 months...

steve.west
Advocate

I've had this problem to on several occasions. This would be a very useful option.

stuartmp
Advocate

Looks like this has been accepted. I wonder what version it will be implimented into.

Does anyone know?

erazorzedge
Advocate

Probably 2018-2019 release, judging by the timeline of the rest of the Ideastation acceptance to implementation.

s.wile
Advocate

Can you add the pipe break symbol with this update as well?

dan_szymanski
Autodesk

I am going to merge this request (along with the kudos/votes) with the Master Idea that currently has 332.  Thanks! -Dan

DRoam
Mentor

Something to consider with this... when you change the way the break is done like this, you don't just shift things around to look prettier, you actually change the shape of the part. See this example: 

Aligned Break Problems.png

Even if I hadn't drawn the 5.4" dimension, it would still appear that the bend on the right end continues down well below the flat part on the left end, when in actuality it doesn't. The same is true for the overall height from the left end to the top of the curve; with the modified break, it appears to only be a couple of inches of rise from the flat end on the left to the top of the curve, when in actuality it's almost 8 inches.

Is making the break look prettier worth possibly mis-communicating the geometry of the part?

Of course, we can tell by looking at it, and by imagining what it would look like extended, that the right bend would "move upwards" as we extend the part.

The question is, by how much? Basically, it would be up to the drafter to know NOT to dimension vertically between the left and right sections of the break, and to use some other view to communicate vertical dimensions if necessary.

erazorzedge
Advocate

I believe that the option of adding a break that's aligned to an edge, or perpendicular to an edge, would be the way to go. It would help in most circumstances, but obviously not in the scenario that DRoam laid out.

Thanks DRoam for pointing out the possible down-side(s).

brent_e_barbour
Collaborator

I was searching the forums today looking for a solution to adding an angled break in an auxiliary view. I see dan.szymanski posted this was “accepted” back on 10-08-2013. I’m running Inventor Pro 2017 and don’t see this feature yet. I guess I’ll have to settle for the limited view break abilities or manipulate it the way I want it in AutoCAD and unfortunately resulting in a broken Inventor link. At what version will we see the angled broken view feature?

brent_e_barbour
Collaborator

I was searching the forums today looking for a solution to adding an angled break in an auxiliary view. I see dan.szymanski posted this was “accepted” back on 10-08-2013. I’m running Inventor Pro 2017 and don’t see this feature yet. I guess I’ll have to settle for the limited view break abilities or manipulate it the way I want it in AutoCAD and unfortunately resulting in a broken Inventor link. At what version will we see the angled broken view feature?

kwilson_design
Collaborator

I do not know how long it will take them to implement. I was hoping it would be in the 2018 release but judging by the other Accepted features it looks like maybe next year (crossing fingers). For the time being I'm having to fudge the dimension and views I need with sketches  or bring it into AutoCAD (Man Mad) which is far from practical.

erazorzedge
Advocate
They (Autodesk) only implements a few actual customer ideas in each release. That way they can sell these new features each and every year! If they were to implement all of the things that were accepted in this latest release, they would have to by more bandwidth to accommodate "new features" list on their website because it would be MASSIVE. I'm just waiting for them to implement little, basic, simple things that they already have in AutoCAD, such as BREAKING OF FREAKING DIMENSION LINES. That idea was accepted back in early 2013... https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/break-dimension/idi-p/3785098
dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Idea added to backlog for future consideration [389]. Thanks!

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

We are refining procedures around idea status.  Changing this to Future Consideration.

inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report