Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add sub-options None / All / Outline to Hidden Line right-click in Drawing Views

Add sub-options None / All / Outline to Hidden Line right-click in Drawing Views

I don't think the desire to show only the hidden outlines of parts / assemblies in drawing views is a rare occurrence.  Having the option of keeping the 'internal' hidden lines of parts / assemblies off would still allow us what we need: to show their location and orientation, but not their construction.  The amount of lines generated by every single internal feature of part / assembly can be mind-boggling.  What is needed is a middle ground.

Where there is only a 'Hidden Lines' entry when right-clicking on a part / assembly in the drawing view tree, I envision a sub-menu fly-out with the three obvious options: Off / All / Outline.  There also would be value to add Hidden Outline as a Style option when initially placing or editing an entire drawing view.

I am aware of the option of manually picking lines to hide, even by window select, but I thought the goal of four-figure software is to handle as much of the drudge work by the users' direction instead of forcing the user to do it themselves.  There may be ways to accomplish this goal using Design Views or Presentation files, but if you rarely or never use them, it seems like adding extra work when the point of this suggestion is to reduce the work required to get the desired result: clear, understandable drawings.

4 Comments
BearsFan
Advocate

I agree.  This would be very useful to myself.

How I currently do it is to turn only only 1 part.  turn off hidden lines.  extract it to a dwg.

rince repeat for all obejects.

make all of the lines hidden.

Then I turn all parts on. turn off hidden.  extract to dwg.  place on top makeing all these new lines solid.

the "overkill" ignoring linetype.

too bad overkill doen't have an option to make solid lines a priority over hidden.

its not the best alternative.  but it kinda works.

drawings
Advocate

This is one I am looking for. This is also covered by another post

Show edges hidden by other parts in drawing view.

This is more detailed. Being able to chose 'outline' by view and/or by part as mentioned above. Then the parts under focus could have there internals shown without the clutter (or effort).

inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Thanks for sharing your Idea. We use this forum to guide product development and help users in the best way we can based on voting. We occasionally merge Ideas or archive old ones to keep the forum working properly - it ensures there is room for people to review new Ideas and that the most relevant and meaningful ones can gain votes. We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so. We’ve found that pictures and mock-ups can help get concepts across and win more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others, let us know. - Inventor product team (Inv.idea review)
inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report