Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add "Prompt for Save Location" option for importing CAD files

Add "Prompt for Save Location" option for importing CAD files

When you import a CAD file from another format, you should be allowed to set the Save Option to "Prompt for Save Location".  With that option selected, when you go to save the imported ipt/iam file you should be presented with the same "Save/Save As" dialog box for saving any other ipt/iam file. 

I do not like to use the "Imported Components" folder; I prefer to save the imported files in the same folder as the product I'm working on, and I like to keep the source CAD file in a different location so that I can easily delete them all periodically.

10 Comments
swalton
Mentor

If you use the options button at the bottom of the file-open window, you can set the save location of your imported files.

File Open Options.PNG 

melmo
Enthusiast

Thanks for your reply, I am aware of the ability to specify the save location in the Options dialog; however, I would like to see that option come up as a prompt when saving the imported files.

It is too easy to forget to change the settings and, in my experience, the current setup makes for a messy situation with imported files being saved everywhere but where you want them.

mrattray
Advisor

These Imported Component folders can get really messy when you have mutiple people working in the same poject.

HotDogginGM
Participant

When importing a part (eg: Step file) -

Provide an option under the file open options to require a prompted save location..

That is to say, if you open an imported file and hit save or Ctrl + S, the default is to match either the project's default, one specfied folder (Imported Components for default) or the location that the file was saved to.

Often times I find myself opening files direct from the web so the save file location is either in a temp directory or in the imported components by default.  I'd love to immediately hit "Ctrl + S" and have it prompt me to save it as if it were a NEW part (Defaults to top level Workspace file)

Function could be further improved by allowing the imported file's save option prompt, but start with a pre-determined directory (eg: a building content center top location...)

karthur1
Mentor

So, you want the prompt to always come up? And.. it should default to your workspace location by default.

HotDogginGM
Participant

Ideally, you would have an option to force the save location prompt in the green area below..

I would envision either another option in the drop down box for save locations, or an additional check-box that would "Prompt at first save" or something of the sort..

Workspace default is good, but I also feel that since everyone's needs are different...   I'd love to have the option to select a default "start" location for file import saves - We import a lot of files from places like Swagelok, McMaster Carr, etc. (which aren't native formats).  Our company has set up a folder organization system which may not be the most efficient but works well - That means that when importing files, we have to navigate down through the folder trees to save each time with each file.  If it were possible, during your import "options" you could specify that for imported files, I want it to not only force/require a prompt but also default to a location of my choosing (which would likely/usually end up in a root folder of the workspace file, but doesn't necessarily have to be).

Ultimately, the "selectable" default location would fall under opulence as far as I'm concerned especially when considering the benefit of the forced save option.  This would keep me from having to purge my imported file components regularly and would keep the rest of our designers from accidentally saving imported files into that folder and then checking things into the vault!

Did that help clarify my thoughts?

Step Import Options.jpg

DRoam
Mentor

FYI @HotDogginGM, there was actually a request created prior to yours which suggests adding a "Prompt for save location" option just like you specified in your comment. Please consider casting a vote for the original to help get your suggestion recognized. It's located here: Add "Prompt for Save Location" option for importing CAD files (currently 11 votes). Thanks!

Xun.Zhang
Alumni

Hi @melmo,

It was true from Inventor 2016 and you can customize the file location before importing.

12.png

Thanks!

inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

DayGriffin5218
Participant

The issue is that there is no option/setting to have the "File Location" field automatically default to your current workspace. I think everyone is missing @HotDogginGM's point. Without an option to have this "File Location" field automatically default to your current workspace folder, you end up having to navigate down through multiple folder tree to select your current workspace folder. The only workaround that I've found is to copy the path from a file explorer window and paste it into the File Location field. This is still very time consuming. It shouldn't be too difficult to have the File Location field automatically default to the folder of the assembly to which you are importing. Or at least have an option to change the default folder to "current folder" or "assembly folder" or whatever other option you would like in the settings.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report