Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add Measurement as Paramenter

Add Measurement as Paramenter

Add measurement of an edge or maybe space between 2 components as a parameter.

It is dumb to have to create a sketch just to create a driven dimension so that a certain measurement can be referenced.

This is found here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Add-measurement-as-parameter/idi-p/3740472,

but I don't believe it got the attention it deserves!!

8 Comments
RPdAnjou
Enthusiast

I'd like to be able to add a measurement (for example, the length of a sweep path) to the parameters (like driven dimensions) and use it on other features/dimension fields.

When modeling tubes, I want the length of the tube (a sweep) to show up in the BOM of the assembly where the tube is used. So I want to be able to put the parameter of the measurement into the "Base Quantity" of the Tube part.

Tags (3)
kim.schroeder
Enthusiast

I'm not sure that I fully understand your wish(?) - but do you want to use, for example, a mate constraint as a reference parameter?

Mate2.jpgMate1.jpg

Mate3.jpg

Since every constraint is a specific parameter (that can be renamed) it can easily be used as a reference parameter - both locally as well as exported for use in other model files. 

swalton
Mentor

I see this request as a way to create a reference dimension between two components, not a driving dimension.  If I apply a constraint between two objects, IV will try to solve the full set of assembly constraints and keep the assigned distance between the two components.  That makes the constraint a driving dimension.  

I might need to know the distance between two components as a result of all the other constraints in the assembly, so I need a reference dimension. 

If i could create a measurement feature in the assembly or part, then I don't need to run the measurement tool each time I change the assembly. Instead, I create my measurement features for all the critical dimensions, make a note in the Engineers Notebook about acceptable values, write some iLogic to throw warnings when those values are exceeded, and remember what it all means when I return to a 3 year old design.

I could even use the measurement results in calculations with other model and user parameters.  Maybe some simple calculations showing the effects of the assembly COG on the reaction forces at its mounting locations...

By the way, if this feature is added to Inventor, it needs to update as a result of changes to position reps. 

ljordan
Advocate

Nailed it swalton.

kim.schroeder, using your example, the space between the 2 components may change, or their position may be more logically constrained by other means, but the space that you reference as "d0" is critical for another component somewhere else in the model. 

It could certainly be done the way you display, but it would require many redundant constraints to keep up with.

It may satisfy some situations, but not nearly even 5% of the situations in which this functionality would have been useful to me.  I do what you mention when I can.

Thanks for the responses.

swalton
Mentor

Added:

I had forgotten about Autolimits, which are a good start. 

See: http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-DBE14CEE-1F79-475D-84A7-0B6B66753DA5

They will allow me to moniter specfic dimensions, physical properties, areas, etc, but do not (IV2014) show up in the parameter list for the assembly.  I can't use them for downstream calcs, or notes/tables on prints.

DRoam
Mentor

This idea should be merged with this one, which is newer but has more votes: Add Measurement as Paramenter

RPdAnjou
Enthusiast

I expected that lots of people would miss this feature, but apparently they don't.

4 years later the urge for driving all subsequent processes with just input from the model is still increasing and we are still missing this feature.

This is a big hole in the automation of the Inventor BOM.

We currently need to manually override the BOM or manually put a parameter into the part parameters, which is prone to errors, especially with modifications in later versions of the part.

Don't know whether merging the thread would help, but it would certainly increase the overall vote count Smiley Happy

asiu
Advocate

What about the result of a curve loop measurement that can be stored in a variable and later used for optimization or design validation automation?

asiu_0-1697113489812.png

It needs to be added to the dialog box as an option to be saved as a variable.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report