Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Level of detail filter for parts list

Level of detail filter for parts list

In the drawing mode, create a new parts list filter for the level of detail representations so that the suppressed components in this level of detail views do not appear in the parts list.

Filter level of detail representations 2.png

18 Comments
fsanchou
Advocate

LOD_Partlist.png

Andrew2803
Advocate

Please add LOD, and User Defined LOD pickability from the Filter section of an existing Parts List of a Drawing.

See pic below.

user defined LOD.JPG

Andrew2803
Advocate

Unnecessary. You can filter to predefined View Representations already, which has the same purpose.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's an other possibility for that I want to do of course

Anonymous
Not applicable
For me, it's a problem, anyway. When you want to place an assembly with differents view in an other assembly, you don't have choice of views. You can select differents levels of detail, but not differents view. You have to do 2 times the job: differents views for the parts list in the drawing mode, differents levels of detail for the assembly mode ! Stupid, no it is ?
Andrew2803
Advocate

Of course you have a choice:

You click right to the desired subassy in your top assy, select "Representation..." and you select it's predefined view rep., which will get automatically associated to the preset top level's view rep. Simple as that.

Hit save for sure, once you picked the right view rep. of subassemlies.

DRoam
Mentor

@Andrew2803 is right, everything you want to do is already possible with View Reps, and View Reps are the appropriate way to do it. LOD is for computer memory management, not for hiding or showing parts in the assembly or BOM. You're actually hurting performance and setting yourself up for a lot of headaches by using LOD for anything other than memory/computing resource conservation.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Andras. Actually, I had never seen that with a right click on the representation icon, I also could select the predefined view. Shame on me 😞 You're totally right, it solves all my concerns. Many thanks to all your support.

Andrew2803
Advocate

@Anonymous;

You are welcome, enjoy that feature!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Adesk would prefer us to use LOD Reps, not DV Reps. It was very difficult to get developers to give us the Filter for DV Reps.

At resent the only solution is to Copy LOD Rep to DV Rep -> Go to Master LOD Rep & DV Rep. RMB the relevant LOD Rep and select Copy to DV Rep.

It isn't a satisfactory workaround, but is a temporary solution until Adesk do something.

I now use LOD Reps far more than DV Reps and would love having the Filter you suggest.

Andrew2803
Advocate

@Anonymous;

Please watch this video with scrutiny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knnqxVH55tM

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Andrew2803 that didn't show me anything I didn't already know, other than locking the DV Rep - which is good.

I know the correct way of doing things.

I can also remember the resistance I and others got from Adesk Inv developers in 2006, or thereabouts, when I and other requested that functionality. If I remember correctly, it related to creating Presentations from DV Reps in Assemblies and requiring the number of components seen in that view/presentation.

However, using a DV Rep in a Presentation makes the IPN heavy and slow to load as it does the Drawing, DWG/IDW.

Sometimes, it is always possible to do things correctly as Adesk prescribes. In reality, Adesk should be meeting our requirements, not telling us how to use the software for which we pay good money. This is how software develops.

The suggestion put forward by @Anonymous is a good one and hopefully Adesk will consider it, as they should consider having a Lock on LOD Reps.

Andrew2803
Advocate

@Anonymous:

My apologies then.

In my understanding though LOD is only for memory saving,

and View Reps are meant to be used on drawings, for showing different configurations of an Assy.

In my opinion currently the biggest pain with LODs is this:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/please-give-option-to-pick-user-defined-lod-participation-for/idi-p/5883505

mikko.m
Advocate

This would really be helpful as views don't have affect on assembly's weight. I would use LOD for configuring pipe runs if this was possible and get correct parts list.

Another idea is to add custom filter.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/parts-list-add-custom-filter/idi-p/7867274

inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Idea added to backlog for future consideration [17511]. Thanks!

JBEDsol
Collaborator

I've heard this functionality was added to IV 2020.  Is this true?  I can't find it yet.

SER4
Collaborator

FYI, looks like 2022 Model States will do this nicely as we desire:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2022/ENU/Inve...

Andrew2803
Advocate

@SER4 wonderful news.

Love this software!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report