Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add Intelligent Dowel Symbols to Drawings

Add Intelligent Dowel Symbols to Drawings

This annotation objects exists in other 3D Moding programs such as SolidWorks and would be a welcome addition to Autodesk Inventor.  Right now in order to add a conventional dowel symbol to a drawing, you have these options...

1.  Create a Sketched Symbol - Make a symbol that when you place it, you can choose the size you desire for the dowel.

2.  Install an addin called Quick Dowel - this is a more automated version of the first option but falls well short since any change to the modeling geometry will not change the actual size of the dowel symbol in either 1 or 2.

2016-01-14_15-50-14.png

3.  Create a Sketch on the View - lastly you can create a sketch on the view in the drawing and then project the edges of the dowel hole.  You then have to draw 4 lines and create two solid fill hatches per dowel.  What is great about this is it will automatically update when size changes, what is horrendous about it is that it is VERY time consuming.

2016-01-14_15-55-19.png

5 Comments
jasonrecords
Advocate

Is this symbol based on some standard (ISO, ASME, or......)?

The symbol you show is the same as a CG (center of gravity) symbol that is typically used and could be confusing.

mflayler2
Advisor

It is very much a common symbol, it just happens to look just like the Origin indicator.

http://help.solidworks.com/2014/English/SolidWorks/sldworks/t_Inserting_Dowel_Pins_Automatically.htm

This is a must for Autodesk Inventor drawings. I'm not sure there's an official ASME or ISO norm for that symbol, but I will find out.

For now I've found this document explaining the symbol:

http://cad-detaildrafting-granville.swsi.wikispaces.net/file/view/NSWTMEM341A-L7.pdf

nannerdw
Advocate
nannerdw
Advocate

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report