Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

add a tolerance to ALL feature dimensions

add a tolerance to ALL feature dimensions

When creating parts, it would save time if you could add a tolerance to ALL feature dimension in thier respective dialogs not just through the show dimentions after the event.

14 Comments
JDMather
Consultant

You don't indicate if you are in the modeling or the drawing environment.

Tolerances.png

rchiccarine
Enthusiast

Sorry, I'm talking about the modeling environment.

For example.  when you create a fillet, when you initially set the fillet size, you can't click the arrow to the right and set the tolerence.  You have to creat the feature, then edit it to set the tolerance.  Same thing with extrusion distance, etc

ScreenHunter_21 Oct. 14 15.56.jpg

mcgyvr
Consultant

yes.. ALL feature dialog boxes where a dimension is entered should allow access to that dimensions tolerance right from the dialog vs having to go into parameters

toleranceextrude.png

inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Thanks for sharing your Idea. We use this forum to guide product development and help users in the best way we can based on voting. We occasionally merge Ideas or archive old ones to keep the forum working properly - it ensures there is room for people to review new Ideas and that the most relevant and meaningful ones can gain votes. We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so. We’ve found that pictures and mock-ups can help get concepts across and win more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others, let us know. - Inventor product team (Inv.idea review)
inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

Please unarchive this idea, we are moving in the direction were all the information is on computers and leaving the paper, it would be great if we could directly edit all values tolerance from the beginning we input them.

Please unarchive this idea, we are moving in the direction were all the information is on computers and leaving the paper, it would be great if we could directly edit all values tolerance from the beginning we input them.

jingyi.liu
Alumni

Hi @Manuelcamposcosta 
In Inventor 2023, you can find the tolerance command from the context menu for a few features, like hole, extrude, fillet, etc. There is a convenient way to edit tolerance values via the parameter table. Refer to below help document.

Inventor 2023 Help | Tolerance and Parameter Enhancements | Autodesk

@jingyi.liu  you are right! could someone mark this as implemented, we are currently in 2021.

jingyi.liu
Alumni
Status changed to: Implemented

basslagter
Participant

@jingyi.liu 

The Status has been changed to Implemented, but I don't agree with that decision.
The point @rchiccarine is making, is that with extrude or other features, users need to go to parameters etc. while with sketch dimensions, you can go to tolerance directly. Another alternative is to RMB the feature, select Show dimensions and THEN select de dimension in the part, RMB, select Tolerance. In my opinion, both ways a lot of unnecessary steps.

Where it would be logical to see the option Tolerance:

basslagter_3-1663150910778.png

Now, the solution that is suggested by @jingyi.liu, is to upgrade to Inventor 2023. That does not change the original request of this topic, in fact, the feature I see in Inventor 2023 Help | Tolerance and Parameter Enhancements | Autodesk to add a tolerance with a quicker way is by still going to Parameters is already working in Inventor 2018 as well @Manuelcamposcosta @manuel.costaSK82X .

Inventor 2018:

basslagter_2-1663150010110.png

Now, users still (even with 2023) need to go to parameters to add tolerances the same way (at least) Inventor 2018 is capable of. So, my question is; what has changed regarding this original request, am I missing something? 

I hope Autodesk is understanding the request and it is not changing this to a implemented status when it is not implemented. I don't want to seem negative and I understand changing such a big program is not easy. I just want to help making the request active again, because it would be really nice if this feature would still be implemented.

@basslagter 

For exemplo in inventor 2022 for the extrude command you are right the options is to go to parameters of show feature dimension.

But in 2023 you can define the tolerance in the extrude menu, just like the image you posted

@basslagter 

For example in inventor 2022 for the extrude command you are right the options is to go to parameters of show feature dimension.

But in 2023 you can define the tolerance in the extrude menu, just like the image you posted.

basslagter
Participant

@Manuelcamposcosta, thanks for the quick reply.

Okay, the link that was send by @jingyi.liu does not show that option, so I thought that was the only solution. I watched What's new in 2023 on youtube, and somewhere there I saw the function, so it indeed has been implemented with 2023.

@jingyi.liu: Is it also a possibility to add that option to Inventor 2022 with an update? Is that on the list, or would that be impossible?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report