Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ability to Select Which Template to Use When Importing Models into Inventor

Ability to Select Which Template to Use When Importing Models into Inventor

With all of the options there are for importing igs, step and parasolid parts into Inventor, there are no options to select which template shuold be used once this part is imported.  Quite often a user will have different tempaltes depending on the operation or units being used.  There should be an addition under the open dislog to allow a user to select which template they would like to use.  Whether it is a custom one or the default out of the box.  Just give us the freedom to select.

See this thread.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Imported-Part-Template/td-p/4352426

14 Comments
Curtis_Waguespack
Consultant

I agree with this idea, and hope this would also allow us to be able to specify a default *.ipt template, a default *.iam template, a default *.idw (or *.dwg) template, and a default *.ipn template, so that the quick pull down menu (see images) will use a specified file, rather than the Standard.xxx files.

The problem currently is that, we will spend a lot of time and effort setting up custom templates, that have preset iProperties which are related to the MRP system, and then Skippy the intern clicks the IPT button in the pull down and uses it to create new parts. But because that button pulls the Standard.ipt file that does not include the 24 custom iProperties that we've set up in our custom company IPT template, things go "all pear shaped" when Skippy tries to bring the BOM information into the MRP system.

We'd prefer that when Skippy clicks the pull down button he gets the custom template that we have specified. The same is true for the New menu as shown here.

As things stand now in order to control the import template or the New file templates, we must name our modified templates Standard.xxx, which seems like a bad idea since once we modify them, they are no longer standard.

At the very least, having a place to specifiy the name of the template would make this all more discoverable for the new user. Currently which template is being used, when importing a file, or when using the menues shown above,  is pretty much undocumented.

Cadmanto
Mentor

Curtis,

That is what I was thinking that the user would be able to select the template of their choice whether it is an  .ipt, .iam or .idw.

Changing the standard in my opion, only breeds further problems like you outlined.

What you showed above would work as well as placing it in the options dialog.

One more suggestion might be to add an option to make it a more permanent selection by adding it to the application options.

scottmoyse
Mentor
Yup not having this is very frustrating. We have library parts which are categorised on checkin to vault & iLogic rules that need to be run. With 3rd party hardware & equipment models we have to do it over & over again. It's silly it's not there already.
MariaManuela
Advisor

Im with you guys! Woman Sad

crmayo
Advocate

There is defiantly a need for both of your ideas Cadmanto and Curtis.  I know everyone’s structure will be different but here is what we have in our template folder. 

Standard.iam

Weldment.iam

Standard.idw

Standard.ipt (this part is empty – used for importing)

Block.ipt

Round.ipt

Sheet Metal.ipt

Tube.ipt

Angle.ipt

We could specify the file locations in the application options like mentioned above.

default templates.JPG

Cadmanto
Mentor

It is arrangements like what you have and are describing that make this idea all the more necessary.

Can't even imagine how much time is wasted when an import happens and the settings from one of these templates has to be manually added.

j.romo
Advocate

is this not important?

this can be huge

We use a lot of standard components from many suppliers and most use step or iges files

we have to manually fill all the parameters with external ilogic rules, it would be great that 

a template could be selected so no external rules would be needed.

cmon autodesk...

danilo.veljkovic
Advocate

When non-native 3D CAD file is opened or imported into assembly, Inventor will use "Standard.ipt" file as default part template. There is no option to select any other part/assembly templates unless project's template is pointed to different folder. But change in project's setting require closing all opened documents. So doing this becomes cumbersome process. We have purchased part template and altered purchase part template which becomes company made product.

PTC Creo has this option set pretty well. We can choose what templates to use for assemblies and parts and they stay current until changed. There is also a check box which when not selected tells Creo to use it's default part template (in Inventor's case it would be Standard.ipt).

Also, assembly option selection should be available all the time, not only when 3D non-native file is imported into assembly. We should be given option to open STEP assembly as a part as well if we want to.

Reference: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/step-file-import-template/m-p/7628706/highlight/false#...

PaulMunford
Autodesk
To open a step file as a multi body, open a part file first - then use the Import command from the Create panel.
danilo.veljkovic
Advocate
Thank you.
PaulMunford
Autodesk

Welcome 🙂

cmcconnell
Collaborator

Curently, IV uses the standard.ipt if it exists in your default template folders. Please allow us to specify a template to use for these imports. This is the case for IDF imports, and I assume it behaves in a similar way for other solid imports.

latha.coleman
Explorer

Completely agree - would save a LOT of time when processing new parts.

gregory_nickol
Advocate

If I import a purchased part (done hundreds of times a month at my company), I then have to open the document settings, go to the BOM tab, and change it's BOM structure from Normal to Purchased to have it set up properly for downstream processes.

When creating a component in the context of an assembly we can pick which template to use and what BOM structure to use already, so we just need that same selection functionality brought into the import menu.

When importing parts, it would be great if we could set a default template to use that is set up properly already for the majority of cases, but also have the dropdown list to pick a template . And if it is an assembly import there should be the option to pick both the parent template AND the child template(s) to be used. Personally I prefer for the child components of purchased assemblies to be phantom so that they don't show up in a structured BOM, but I'm sure there are other workflows used.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report