Inventor IdeaStation
Share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team.
31 Kudos
laptop_geek

Ability to redefine dimensions

by laptop_geek on ‎06-19-2013 12:43 PM

When working in a 2D sketch it would be very helpful if I were able to redefine dimensions. Currently if I have a dimension that was created, then named, checked for export, etc, then want to move what that dimension referenced (either due to a design change, or if I changed my mind about something, or if it was modeled incorrectly the first time, etc.) I have to delete that dimension and recreate it. This can become very tiresome if I have several dimensions that all need to be updated at the same time. It would be nice if I had a option to "Redefine Dimension", similar to redefining a plane, when I right clicked on the dimension so that I would not have to delete it and recreate it.

Comments
by Active Contributor ic198 on ‎06-19-2013 04:33 PM

There is a workaround for this one. Say you have Dimension A that is exported but you need to redefine it. Create a Parameter B and make that equal to Dimension A. You can now delete Dimension A from your sketch- because it is used in Parameter B it will stay in your parameters list. Create your new Dimension C. In your parameters list make A equal to C. A will continue to export and will be the correct value. You can now delete B. I hope that's all easy to follow!

Being able to redefine dimensions would be better, but in the meantime the above might help

by Distinguished Contributor djreesing on ‎06-28-2013 04:37 AM

+1 for redefining dimensions!

by *Expert Elite* on ‎06-28-2013 12:58 PM
by Distinguished Contributor DRoam on ‎07-10-2013 12:09 PM

I've wanted the ability to do this many, many times. I'd love to see this added.

by Distinguished Contributor Orest_iy on ‎11-27-2013 07:30 AM

I really appreciate this idea since I build a lot of linked part in project. I have posted my own few days ago. I did not know you already published it. I really support the idea to kudos both to accumulate enough supporters in hope Autodes will do something.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea.

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube