Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ability to redefine dimensions

Ability to redefine dimensions

When working in a 2D sketch it would be very helpful if I were able to redefine dimensions. Currently if I have a dimension that was created, then named, checked for export, etc, then want to move what that dimension referenced (either due to a design change, or if I changed my mind about something, or if it was modeled incorrectly the first time, etc.) I have to delete that dimension and recreate it. This can become very tiresome if I have several dimensions that all need to be updated at the same time. It would be nice if I had a option to "Redefine Dimension", similar to redefining a plane, when I right clicked on the dimension so that I would not have to delete it and recreate it.

10 Comments
ic198
Advocate

There is a workaround for this one. Say you have Dimension A that is exported but you need to redefine it. Create a Parameter B and make that equal to Dimension A. You can now delete Dimension A from your sketch- because it is used in Parameter B it will stay in your parameters list. Create your new Dimension C. In your parameters list make A equal to C. A will continue to export and will be the correct value. You can now delete B. I hope that's all easy to follow!

Being able to redefine dimensions would be better, but in the meantime the above might help

djreesing
Advocate

+1 for redefining dimensions!

karthur1
Mentor
DRoam
Mentor

I've wanted the ability to do this many, many times. I'd love to see this added.

Orest_iy
Collaborator

I really appreciate this idea since I build a lot of linked part in project. I have posted my own few days ago. I did not know you already published it. I really support the idea to kudos both to accumulate enough supporters in hope Autodes will do something.

brownst
Autodesk

Yes and Yes again!  Drag/drop the extension line(s) to other geometry works well and I miss that ability.

Benjamin
Contributor

Is there any update on the status of this idea Autodesk? Extremely good, useful idea!

nhedler
Explorer

It's been 9 years; has there been any official attention here?

jeffg28CLY
Advocate

@nhedlerYup I've run into this myself several times as well.

Some geometry breaks, which means some reference dimensions also break, so they have to be moved. And by "moved" I mean "deleted, recreated, and then find and repair all formulas that used them.
Pro-E/Creo: Just right-click the dimension and select Redefine.

v2022.3 - Still can't do it, as far as I know.

Hunteil
Collaborator

I cross posted this idea into this combined idea: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/sketch-dimension-improvements-redefine-dimension-arran...

I assume the developers would prefer to tackle all this at the same time.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report