Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ability to redefine dimensions

Ability to redefine dimensions

When working in a 2D sketch it would be very helpful if I were able to redefine dimensions. Currently if I have a dimension that was created, then named, checked for export, etc, then want to move what that dimension referenced (either due to a design change, or if I changed my mind about something, or if it was modeled incorrectly the first time, etc.) I have to delete that dimension and recreate it. This can become very tiresome if I have several dimensions that all need to be updated at the same time. It would be nice if I had a option to "Redefine Dimension", similar to redefining a plane, when I right clicked on the dimension so that I would not have to delete it and recreate it.

11 Comments
ic198
Advocate

There is a workaround for this one. Say you have Dimension A that is exported but you need to redefine it. Create a Parameter B and make that equal to Dimension A. You can now delete Dimension A from your sketch- because it is used in Parameter B it will stay in your parameters list. Create your new Dimension C. In your parameters list make A equal to C. A will continue to export and will be the correct value. You can now delete B. I hope that's all easy to follow!

Being able to redefine dimensions would be better, but in the meantime the above might help

Anonymous
Not applicable

+1 for redefining dimensions!

karthur1
Mentor
DRoam
Mentor

I've wanted the ability to do this many, many times. I'd love to see this added.

Orest_iy
Collaborator

I really appreciate this idea since I build a lot of linked part in project. I have posted my own few days ago. I did not know you already published it. I really support the idea to kudos both to accumulate enough supporters in hope Autodes will do something.

brownst
Autodesk

Yes and Yes again!  Drag/drop the extension line(s) to other geometry works well and I miss that ability.

Benjamin
Contributor

Is there any update on the status of this idea Autodesk? Extremely good, useful idea!

nhedler
Explorer

It's been 9 years; has there been any official attention here?

jeffg28CLY
Advocate

@nhedlerYup I've run into this myself several times as well.

Some geometry breaks, which means some reference dimensions also break, so they have to be moved. And by "moved" I mean "deleted, recreated, and then find and repair all formulas that used them.
Pro-E/Creo: Just right-click the dimension and select Redefine.

v2022.3 - Still can't do it, as far as I know.

Hunteil
Collaborator

I cross posted this idea into this combined idea: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/sketch-dimension-improvements-redefine-dimension-arran...

I assume the developers would prefer to tackle all this at the same time.

wwang
Explorer

Extremely important feature. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report