Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ability to Import Weld Dimensions into Drawing

Ability to Import Weld Dimensions into Drawing

There should be an option under "Feature Notes" that allows you to bring in the welld dimension values created in the model.  At the very least allow the dimensions to be imported through the import dimensions command.

Please see the following link that speaks to this.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Retrieve-weld-dimensions-on-idw/m-p/4476175#M484200

7 Comments
jletcher
Advisor

It does I don't understand..

You have to put the information in the model weld symbol. The only thing that does not is the number of beads but that is not in a weld symbol anyway.

with numbers.JPG

draw.JPG

Cadmanto
Mentor

James,

I think you just proved my point.  I don't see what you are seeing in 2012.

You must be using 2014?

Which seemingly goes back to my original point.  By posting this idea it will bring discussion on to prove either this functionality either exists, or it needs to.

Now, it is up to the OP of the thread to decide if this is what he was looking for.  It looks like it to me.

jletcher
Advisor

No I am on 2012  this has been there from the day they put in the weld in.

When you create the weld you must click to make weld symbol.

Click 1.JPG

Then fill in the information.

fill in.JPG

Now if you already have made the bead and not the symbol the option is not there whenyou go to edit the weld see pic. This is edit the weld after you made it. Notice the option is not there..

gone.JPG

So you have to use this to make the symbol.

This.JPG

After clicking this feature you then pick the bead you want the information to be attached to.

Cadmanto
Mentor

I guess I was a little premature with this idea.  I have never used this functionality.  Mainly because of our specific weld standards, it is not benificial for us to use this.  But it is good to know.

You definately deserve kudos for for your efforts.

Thanks James.

jtylerbc
Mentor

The process jletcher describes is still a manual process for entering the weld symbol information.  It just moves that data entry from the drawing to the model.  To get it to do what I think you are asking for, you have to go one step further.

Near the bottom of the dialog box he shows, there is a "Fillet Weld Linking" box, which will allow you to link the model weld symbol to the dimensions of the bead.  This will cause the sizes from the modeled bead to copy over to the symbol, and disables manual entry of the values.  The weld size will update in the symbol when you change the size of the weld geometry. 

However, there is a problem - it traps you into using decimal format for your weld sizes, which is unacceptable in many company's drafting standards.  I suspect this issue is probably the reason jletcher doesn't seem to be using this part of the feature.  I have an idea posted for allowing a choice between decimal or fractional weld symbol styles, which would clean this issue up and make this feature more useful.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Fractional-Weld-Sizes/idi-p/4301520

Cadmanto
Mentor

My original thought was a simple method to insert what weld specs got inputed into the model can be easily inserted into the drawing.  While I have not tried yet what James outlined, it looked as though it would solve the issue.  Now based on what you are saying there is room for improvement, which between this idea and yours, if the two of them can get enough support, maybe it can get the attention of Autodesk.

Speaking of fractional versus decimal.  I like your point and it sounds similar to the idea I posted a few months back.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Fraction-Ability-within-the-CC-Editor/idi-p/38160...

jletcher
Advisor

@ jtylerbc

Actually I don't use the weld option at all to many bugs but yes you can do as you say and that is one issue must be decimals. I just have to teach it to my clients just incase they want to use them. I tell them not to but do as you want type thing..

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report