Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D Sketch - Add constraints Along X, Along Y, Along Z

3D Sketch - Add constraints Along X, Along Y, Along Z

In my opinion, it takes too much construction geometry to constrain a 3d sketch.  If you could define the alignment of a line along an axis it would help speed things up.

9-16-2013 8-44-41 AM.png

7 Comments
FProcp
Collaborator

3D Sketch in Inventor is a HUGE FAILURE.

With a 2D sketch you have full control over every aspect of the sketch. With 3D sketch you don't and it's very hard to get that control.

Something desperately needs to be done. This is supposed to be a 3D package Smiley Mad

crmayo
Advocate

Difficult to constrain, hard to change line direction - just a complete joke compared to SolidWorks.

marshallw
Advocate

Quick fix: How about just porting the rigid piping route drawing functionality into the 3D sketch environment?

Josh_Hunt
Advocate

I agree that 3D sketching is not simple. It has become better recently.

Have you tried... Parallel Constraint > Pick Line > Pick Axis under Origin folder?

crmayo
Advocate

Hi JHUNT107,  I have used that method in the past.  For some reason you can’t project your assembly axis as construction lines in a 3d sketch.  The only way to constrain parallel is to turn on visibility of the axis, and then you can select the axis and use it to constrain geometry to.  Why can we constrain lines at angles or parallel to planes?  Why can’t we use the origin point to constrain geometry to?  There is so much that could be done to improve this tool, along x,y,z is just a start.  Thanks for sharing your tip, we are using Inventor 2013. 

dlapointeAwtx
Participant

I am thinking fusion 360. Hoping to find basic SolidWorks functions not in inventor.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2017.  Six new constraints are available:

• Parallel to X axis
  • Parallel to Y axis
  • Parallel to Z axis
  • Parallel to XY plane
  • Parallel to YZ plane
  • Parallel to XZ plane

Special thanks to everyone who cast a vote for it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report