Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D GD&T Annotations

3D GD&T Annotations

Please implement ASME Y14.41 into the 3D modeling environment. Specifically, GD&T annotations. There used to be a Labs technology preview, but what happpened to that? Weld symbols seem to work well, why not build on that?

17 Comments
gary.belisle
Advocate

Here is a good article on MBD (Model Based Definition) that provides a good explanation on the benefit of embedding GD&T. The end game of course is a leaner, more tightly integrated, design and inspection process.

Model Based Definitions

mcgyvr
Consultant

This is the future Autodesk.. 

Whatever you want to call it...

MDB

3D PMI

ASME Y14.41

MIL-STD-31000A

IDW/DWG should be like Sanskrit.. A "dead" language.. STOP FOCUSING ON IDW/DWG IMPROVEMENTS.. Its simply a waste of time at this point.. Any focus in the idw/dwg area should ALL be directed away from 2d drawings and into implementing "model based definition" or 3d PMI.. 

Down with idw files.. walk the plank... 

mikeh4
Collaborator

As much as I'd like paper to go away the need for 2D prints isn't going to go away for a long time.  Especially for Welded IAMs and Assemblies (i.e. Products created with manual labor).  Any parts prgrammed and createded by machines, I agree.  Let the computers do the communication.

We stay away from GD&T due to the complexity and the training it would take on the floor, and we do a good job detailing it to get the intent across.

As for keeping GD&T out of the IDW environment, we don't have a need for it so I wouldn't have an issue with keeping it out.

At this time we still have a fear of putting an electronic device next to a welder to view prints, just don't think they'll last too long in that environment.

Don't kill the IDW quite yet.  Thanks

gary.belisle
Advocate

I agree with both points mcgyvr and mikeh are making. 2D prints will never go away and the drawing environment should improve as needed. That said, from what I've seen with some MBD/PMI examples out there, the 2D print is a by-product of the MBD/PMI 3D model.

The ability to open a MBD pdf file with all the 2D views and then rotate the 3D model and select a dimension that hi-lights all the associated features is a POWERFUL communications advantage.

rodl
Contributor
Hi 3D GD&T what is it and how will it help me. It all starts off in the design. I model the 3D in Inventor. Do drawings or use the part and get the parts made. Easy. Well until you have production problems. Machine tolerance or worker fatigue etc. No problem just add the information in the drawing. Well would not be great if the information could be added to the model and modelling done to check for problems before even the drawings are done. then retrieve the information into the drawings from the model. I have added some website to look at and explain 3D GD&T in more detail-- http://www10.mcadcafe.com/nbc/articles/view_article.php?articleid=294155 Images https://www.google.co.za/search?q=3D+GD%26T&rlz=1C1SAVG_enZA517ZA517&espv=2&es_sm=122&biw=1280&bih=9... http://www.advanceddimensionalmanagement.com/ http://www.ida-step.net/components/editors/gdt http://www.techsoft3d.com/developers/getting-started/hoops-exchange/pmi-gdt-and-markup Yes Autodesk did look at it in 2010, but what happened? http://labs.blogs.com/its_alive_in_the_lab/2010/07/3d-annotation-for-inventor-now-available.html Thanks
rodl
Contributor
A quote:"Kenneth W. Chase, Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering Department Brigham Young University Provo, Utah Future of Tolerance Analysis It is a pleasure to address the question: “What is the future of tolerance analysis?” It is a subject about which I have strong feelings. I first began teaching a course in Design for Manufacture after returning from two summers working for John Deere in 1980. Two gray-haired engineers there, who were brothers, one a designer and the other a manufacturing engineer, persuaded me that mechanical engineers should include manufacturing considerations in their designs. They spent a lot of time with me, “filling in the gaps in my education.” I began to see that tolerance analysis was the vehicle to bring design and manufacturing together. Using a common mathematical model that combines the performance requirements of the designer with the process requirements of the manufacturer provides a quantitative tool for estimating the effects each has upon the other. It truly promotes the concept of Concurrent Engineering. At last, I can honestly say the tools are here, ready to earn a place alongside other standard CAD applications, such as kinematics, dynamics, vibrations, and finite element analysis (FEA). CAD-based tolerancing is quite sophisticated and advanced for a new CAD/CAM/CAE (Computer Aided Design/ Computer Aided Manufacturing/Computer Aided Engineering) tool. It had to be. No one today will accept an analysis tool that is not graphical and integrated with CAD. Inventor software designers and voters take note NO ONE TODAY WILLACCEPT AN ANALYSIS TOOL THAT IS NOT GRAPHICAL AND INTEGRATED WITH CAD.
Dickerson2012
Advocate

This would be a major time saver if Inventor could display the MMC of any FOS or a true position or projected tolernace zone, a translucent envelope comes to mind. If this information was available at the API level could we also query the GD&T information of the assembly....fun..

lesmfunk
Collaborator

Now that SW has launched MBD. It is time to bump this idea. Dual dimensioning has always been taboo. Why are we still doing it (model sketch AND idw annotations)?

Our shop is paperless and they are often measuring the 3D dwf model. Less risk of error if dimensions are defined from the engineering department.

No more need to teach orthographic projection. No more confusion between first or third angle projection...

The_Angry_Elf
Advisor

OK, this was submited back in 2013, I'm hoping this reply bumps it back to the front of the pack.

It is a major neeed to have Invneotr be Y14.41 compliant. Can something be added in the Labs as a beat test for such?

It's bad enough that Inventor's detailing abilities for GDT of the 2009 version is lacking some of the needed symbols (it's only been 9 yrs).

Can we pleeeeeeeeze  get GDT not only in the detail side (with all the required symbols) but on the model side as well?

2017 is due out any day now, I doubt it's in there, can it make the cut for 2018?

svebnyt
Participant

This is a must for 3D design and engineering. Beeing able to define the function by defining the GeometricalProduct Specifications. GPS cover all areas from the designer's idea to finished and verified workpieces for testing or installation. I must say I envy the Solidwork users that have Dimxpert. See Youtube for details: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5qk_cF3ijs

What are Autodesk's future plans for implementing 3D annotations with Geometrical Product Specifications?

ISO 8015:2011 is supporting the use of 3D annotation. (See http://www.iso.org/obp/ui/#iso:std:iso:8015:ed-2:v1:en )

The_Angry_Elf
Advisor

Autodesk Labs had an add-in for this type of annotation, but for whatever reason it is no longer available.

If they were able to do it once, they should be able to offer it again. I'm assuming there were a few bugs in the add-in and thus it was pulled?

rodl
Contributor

Sadly Inventor is turning into a fancy drafting tool. GD&T is a engineering must in the model. It is the most important manufacturing aid to get product through production without a hitch. Autodesk we need to see engineering in the model. The model must be first than the drawings follow the model.

It would seem to many Inventor uses are still in the 2D drawing age to under the importance of this and vote for it.

VOTE, one day you will be thankful you did.

s.mccarthy
Advocate

Hello Autodesk... Anyone home..??

dan_szymanski
Autodesk

Please personal message me if you would like an invitation to our Inventor Alpha/Beta feedback community to participate in some ongoing discussions & see (or play with) what we are working on.  Thanks! -Dan

aasiu
Advocate

This made it in the beta or alpha release like 4 years ago, promoted from the labs.

What happened and why the release of the 3D GD&T was cancelled in the last moment is puzzling...

Can you please consider this, it is really needed.

Thank you Autodesk.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2018 within the standard part environment. Special thanks to everyone who cast a vote for it.

Note: The core idea has been implemented to deliver MBD (model based definition) or 3DA (three dimensional annotations) in supporting GD&T annotations in standard parts.  At this time we cannot state 100% compliance to the ASME Y14.41 standard.  The Autodesk Inventor 2018 MBD solution features a tolerance advisor that generates standards based annotations given the graphical feature selections.  General annotations that do not leverage the tolerance advisor can also be created within your standard part file.

JBerns
Advisor

Now please vote to support viewing the PMI - MBD - GD&T - 3D Annotations - AP242 format in A360:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/a360-ideas/pmi-or-gd-amp-t-support-for-step-files-using-the-new-step-...

Regards,

Jerry

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea