Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow resizing Inventor holes using Direct Edit

Allow resizing Inventor holes using Direct Edit

Right now, the Direct Edit command can be used to resize just about anything, including holes, unless those holes were created using Inventor's Hole command. In that case, we're prevented from selecting the hole for resizing as shown below:

Resize Hole Direct Edit.png

While this usually isn't a problem, because we can just edit the original Hole feature to change the hole's size, sometimes using Direct Edit is necessary (examples in comments). I propose that this limitation be removed so that we can use Direct Edit to resize holes when it's necessary for our workflows.

2 Comments
DRoam
Mentor

Related thread: Why can't I resize a hole using Direct Edit? 

Examples of when this would be useful:

• Sometimes a single Hole feature is used to cut multiple holes. If there are constraints or drawing dimensions on those holes, using Direct Edit is the best way to resize just one or a few of them without breaking constraints and dimensions.
  • Another use case is making a copy of a solid body (or Deriving it out), and using Direct Edit to change a hole size in individual instances, in order to create multiple "configurations" of a part, without having to use iPart.

The reason for this limitation, according to the thread linked to above, is because the hole/thread data for the hole would not be updated when the resize is done, so it would not match the hole's new size. I propose that either:

• Direct Edit should be empowered to update hole/thread data with the new size (preferred), or,
  • Direct Edit should simply remove the hole/thread data after the resize, thereby converting the hole to "dumb" geometry similar to that created by an Extruded hole rather than a Hole feature, or,
  • Some other solution be found, if possible.

I appreciate any consideration that can be given to the feasibility of doing this.

billerb21
Observer

INVENTOR PLEASE ADD THIS. When we direct edit solids, WE DONT CARE ABOUT HOLE AND THREAD DATA.  We're trying to prepare the part to be cast or 3D printed, nobody cares about the hole data.

Its absurd that Inventor easily allows you to direct edit the diameter of an EXTERNAL round feature, but not a hole. There's no difference between them, they're both cylindrical surfaces.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report