Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom level when opening part from Assembly.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
karthur1
1100 Views, 7 Replies

Zoom level when opening part from Assembly.

When I right-clcik and open a part that is in my assembly.... sometimes it opens and then zooms to the "Home" view, but sometimes it does not.  Watch this video to see what I mean.

http://screencast.com/t/lCy1og3goZ

Notice how the first three parts that I open will be zoomed out so you can see the entire part.Then on the fourth part, it does not zoom out.  I have to do that manually.  The first part I open first zooms out to the home position of the part, but when I open it again later (1:00 mark) it does not.  It does not go to the home view of the part until I click the "home" icon.

This is nothing new really.  I have been seeing this when I was on 2013 and now its in 2015.  It is annoying and I am just curious what is causing the inconsisency.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Hi karthur1,

I suspect the issue is with the Home View setting in the 4th part. If you right click on the View Cube's Home View button (looks like a house) and then choose Set Current View as Home > Fit To View, I think this will fix it.

I think currently that part is using the Fixed Distance setting:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-8C567C51-56F7-4851-95D3-B5110B1A5541

Edit: Smiley Frustrated after re-reading the original post and seeing that the same part opens zoomed out the first time and then not zoomed out later, I'm not sure that my previous answer is what is going on, but it might still be something to check.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 8

@Curtis_Waguespack wrote:

Hi karthur1,

Edit: Smiley Frustrated after re-reading the original post and seeing that the same part opens zoomed out the first time and then not zoomed out later, I'm not sure that my previous answer is what is going on, but it might still be something to check.

Curtis,

Exactly....its just totally random.  When I set the home view and then later open the part again.... sometimes it opens to the home view.... sometimes it does not.

Kirk

Message 4 of 8
johnsonshiue
in reply to: karthur1

Keith,

I think the parts exhibiting this "partial zoom" behavior might have been created via Edit-in-Place. Is that true? When you open the part, what is the Intial View Extent setting in the part?

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 8
karthur1
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Johnson,

The parts were not created in-place. They were created by starting a new part.  If I open the part explicitly, it doesnt zoom out to the extents.

I just did another test.  I have the same part in two different locations in an assembly. I open them from the assembly first, and they do not zoom to the extents of the part.  Next, I open the part explecitly and it does not zoom to the extents of the part. While in the part, I just click the Home view button (I dont change the definition) and it zooms to where it should and I close the part.

When I open the part again from the assembly (0:34 mark) and it zooms correctly. But, then I close it and open another instance of the part in the assembly and it does not zoom correctly. 

Here is another video.  http://screencast.com/t/kN8PTp0kID

Its just all over the place as to how it zooms when the part is opened.  I can never predict it.

Thanks,

Kirk

Message 6 of 8
kschumacher

Kirk,

Did you ever find out what caused / causes this behavior?

Ken -

Message 7 of 8
karthur1
in reply to: kschumacher

Currently using Inventor 2020 and I don't notice that.  I do know that sometimes when I open an assembly, it will not be zoomed out to the extents, but I think that might be how the view rep was saved (if it is not on Master).

Message 8 of 8
johnsonshiue

Hi Kirk,

I think there was indeed a behavioral change recently (not sure if it was 2018 or 2019). Now each Design View rep has a way to persist the camera angle. Right-click on the active design view, it will store the camera angle. If you save it as is, it should reopen as is.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report