Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrap around cover

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
mnielsen55
324 Views, 4 Replies

Wrap around cover

Hey guys, I'm trying to design a cover that will wrap around two housing halves to cover the seam (similar to a cell phone cover). 

I've attached the model that I've got so far... I was trying to do a sweep around the housing, but I'm not quite sure how to get the end result I'm looking for. If you look at the sketches you'll have a good idea of how I was trying to achieve, but I'm not sure if I can just do a sweep with multiple profiles as the shape changes around the housing, or if I have to do it some other way.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

-Mark

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JavaLodge
in reply to: mnielsen55

When I opened your file I got a error message for a missing link, the file HOUSING HALVES.iam. Does this file contain the sketches? I'm not sure where you want to go with this. Maybe if you could draw a picture of what you need. Also it would help to post your Inventor version.
in reply to: JavaLodge

Sorry about that. It was a derived part from an assembly. Here are the missing files.

The files are from Inventor Pro 2014.

-Mark

Message 4 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: mnielsen55

I probably would have done all of the parts (including the cover) in one part file as multi-body solids but you can still do it the way you are.

But I would have Derived Component the parts as Composite Surface bodies and then Thicken the surfaces to get the cover.

Not sure where you were going to go regarding top/bottom but see second attachment.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 5
mnielsen55
in reply to: JDMather

The two housing halves don't match up exactly (sloppy sketching on my part), but I plan on doing a thicken to join the two halves. The model you did is very helpful. I'll see if I can get it cleaned up enough to use.

Thanks!

-Mark

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report