Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would like to use a model from Solidworks in my inventor Model

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
SeanFarr
493 Views, 6 Replies

Would like to use a model from Solidworks in my inventor Model

Is it possible to use other CAD software models in Inventor?

I am creating an assembly and would like to save time and effort and use an engine from GrabCAD. Here:

It is a solidworks file which I can open in Inventor 2013, but I don't know the best method to use.

Thanks

Sean

Sean Farr
Product Designer at TESInc.ca

Inventor Professional 2014-Update 2 - AutoCAD Electrical 2014
Win7-x64 | ASUS P8Z77-V | i7 3770 -3.4 GHz | 32GB RAM |
240GB SSD | nVidia GTX 670 4GB - 320.49
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: SeanFarr

Yes

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
blair

Just select File-Open from within IV, select the correct file extension or *.* for all.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 7
WHolzwarth

Sometimes it's not easy, as some parts only come in from import as construction geometry, and have to be re-worked. Results are a matter of luck and user's skill.

This engine is such a sample. Import it, save it with Inventor, and look in Windows Explorer at the thumbnails of the IPTs. Empty ones or showing transparent faces are the critical ones, and not all can be solved easily.

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
sam_m

While people are saying yes, I beleive there are some limitations to importing Solidworks data.

I think Inventor can only import Solidworks data from the previous version, e.g. Inventor 2013 can use Solidworks 2012 (or older) data.  Because Inventor 2013 was released before Solidworks 2013 it isn't programmed with the information to be able to import its data.

from the online help:

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2013/Help/1310-Autodesk1310/1892-Collabor1892/1899-Transla...

Iv 2013 can import Solidworks 2003 - 2012

Iv 2012 can import Solidworks 2003 - 2010

Iv 2011 can import Solidworks 2003 - 2010

If you are using a Solidworks release of the same version (or newer) than Inventor then I think the only option is to export to a stp or igs from SW and use that in Inventor.

Hope that makes some sense.

*edited with version info*

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 6 of 7
SeanFarr
in reply to: sam_m

I can open the final assembly fine and even do a save into Inventor format. But once I try and open the assembly there is a bunch of un-resolved issues and the models opens but with no data showing.

I'm thinking I have to open up each part and sub-assembly and do a save to convert to inventor. Then once I open the the final assembly it might work.

I tried importing to step or iges but it failed. Model lost some data and there was some obscurities.

I dont need to show all the individual parts in the assembly, can I convert the engine into one solid and maybe then try a save into inventor format??

Thanks

Sean Farr

Sean Farr

Message 7 of 7
SeanFarr
in reply to: WHolzwarth

I opened the parts today and tired saving them and it worked for some reason. The whole assembly and individual files are converted into Inventor parts and assemblies. Not 100% sure what I did differently from yesterday but at least the engine can be opened within Inventor and placed into an Inventor Assembly.

Thnaks to all.

Sean Farr

Sean Farr

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report