Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would an assembly file saved off of an existing file share the same parts?

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
271 Views, 1 Reply

Would an assembly file saved off of an existing file share the same parts?

Hi everyone,

I'm getting close to finishing my 1st actual projects that I've modeled using Inventor and I want to basically save a copy of one assembly file so that I can make a second derivative file which is basically the same assembly with the exception of a few parts being different.  My concern is how that will link up the .ipt files to it.

Will Assembly A and Assembly B use the same part files as a reference? 

OR

Instead of sharing common files would assembly B create a new copy of each part in it, similar to the way a mirrored part in an assembly is saved as "_MIR:1" then "_MIR:2" and so forth for each instance?

If I delete a part from Assembly B or Replace it with another part file, will the assembly file cause an error because it's looking for the replaced part?

I just want to make sure that what I'm doing here won't wreak havoc on my files if I proceed with it!

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Yes a simple copy of an assembly will still be pointing to the orginal files.

Here's the method to use ( if you're not trying to copy IDW's):

click Copy button

Cpy d1.png

Select your top level from the browser:

Cpy d5.png

click the buttons to configure the copy to copy, reuse or exclude parts as you see fit:

(hover over the buttons at the top of the dialog to see what each one means)

Cpy d3.png

click the "Open in New Window" to make a copy of the top level, also, set name and file location for all files to be copied

Cpy d4.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report