Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workspace files being saved to wrong directory

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Richard-K
2972 Views, 8 Replies

Workspace files being saved to wrong directory

Hi,

A colleague has just created a new project file and renamed it to replace the old one. We both use the same file from the vault and it is saved on our workspace. I've 'got' the project file so I'm definitely using the same one as him.

My problem now is that whenever I open something from the vault the files are imported into the wrong directory. I have gone through the settings on the project file and they seem correct - which part defines where workspace files are saved? My colleague's files get imported correctly but mine don't.

I'm running IV 2014

Cheers

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
cbenner
in reply to: Richard-K

@Kokoza wrote:

Hi,

A colleague has just created a new project file and renamed it to replace the old one. We both use the same file from the vault and it is saved on our workspace. I've 'got' the project file so I'm definitely using the same one as him.

My problem now is that whenever I open something from the vault the files are imported into the wrong directory. I have gone through the settings on the project file and they seem correct - which part defines where workspace files are saved? My colleague's files get imported correctly but mine don't.

I'm running IV 2014

Cheers

Have you double checked that this new project is set as your current project in Inventor?  Can you post a screen shot of the project file?  And if so, also tell us where the downloaded files are going, if not to the working folder set up in the project file.

Message 3 of 9
Richard-K
in reply to: cbenner

Hi -

The files and folders are being saved in the next folder up - Workspaces, when they should be going into projects.

I've attached an image of the project file.

Message 4 of 9
cbenner

In your image the Project location is Workspaces.  That's where Vault is going to go with downloaded files.  If your co-worker's files are going to the right place, there must be some difference in the project files?  Is the project file itself in a shared location?

Message 5 of 9
Richard-K

Hi,

I have tried changing the workspace location to 'projects' as shown in the image attached, but even after getting it from the vault again (I first deleted the local copy of the project file to make sure) it still saves the files and folders to 'workspace' no 'projects' inside of workspace.

The project files are saved to our local machines and also are vaulted. Would it help to have it on the network and share it?

thanks for the responses

Message 6 of 9
LT.Rusty

I'm about 99% sure that your problem is not in your project file, but in the settings in your Vault client.

Check where your working folder is set.  If you have $ mapped to c:\workspaces, then you'd expect $\projects to go to c:\workspaces\projects, right?  This is not always going to work the way you'd expect.  Go to your Vault client, find \projects, and right click on it then select PROPERTIES.  Make sure that the working folder is set to where you want it to go.  If not, change the location.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 7 of 9
cbenner
in reply to: LT.Rusty

Good point Rusty!

Note that if the Working folder has been set by the administrator as a default and enforced for all users, you will have to have the admin make any changes.  There is a setting that enforces one working folder for all users, or allows them to define their own.  Under Vault Settings\Files\Working Folder

Message 8 of 9
LT.Rusty

I'm guessing they don't have that box checked though, since his files are going to one location and his co-workers' files are going to a different location. 🙂

Rusty

EESignature

Message 9 of 9
Richard-K
in reply to: LT.Rusty

Hi -

Thanks for the replies - I took a look at the vault options and set the virtual folder to '$' rather than '$, projects' and that has seemed to fix it.

We allowed each user to set a working folder on the two machines.

Hopefully this is a permanent fix and it's not going to crop up again!

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report