Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workplane perpendicular (again)

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
thburn
2710 Views, 8 Replies

Workplane perpendicular (again)

Hi,

1st question:

I have a problem creating a perpendicular workplane onto my surface. I already lokked in the forum here, but could not find a solution. Any idea will be highly appreciated!

My surface is extruded out of a sketch based on splines, see attachment.

Now I wanted to create a workplane which is always perpendicular to the surface, as shown with the red lines.

So how can I do that? The workplane tool does not let me click the surface :-(.
Even if I create a line first and click the workplane tool first on this line and then the surface the surface does not get activated to be able to place the workplane.

So how can I create a workplane which is perpendicular to the surface?

I also cannot place lines or points on that surface, same problem!

2nd question:

Lets assume it is possible somehow (may you explain how) and I have a plane perpendicular to the surface.

Now I want to move that workplane to correct the position. How can I do that? The workplane must always stay perpendicular to the surface, just the position where the plane touches the surface changes.
Is that possible? How?

Thanks for any help!

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Cadmanto
in reply to: thburn

Not sure what planes you have to start with.  If you could provide a picture of your base planes and what they look like in reference to your model that would help.

If you do have base planes going through your model one command you could use is this.

planes.PNG

to get the new plane in the correct orientation.  Then in answer to your second question, use the offset from a plane command to create that one.  If you need to change or adjust it RC on the plane in the browser and select this.

planes.PNG

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 9
thburn
in reply to: Cadmanto

Hi Cadmanto,

thanks for reply, but I don't have any base planes. And by the way I tried also with an extra line as I described in my 1st post. But even with this extra line I could not create a workplane. I created the lien, activated the workplane tool, then I clicked the line and then I tried to click the surface but this is impossible, I could not click.

Since my surface nowhere is parallel or perpendicular to a baseplane I need an other approach.

I just want to create a workplane based on the surface normal of that surface.

So mathematically I need a workplane perpendicular to the surface normal wherever I pick any point of that surface.

No extra geometry like lines, base planes etc. is needed, just the surface normal is the base for what I need.

Hope it is more clear now,

thanks for any further help!

Message 4 of 9
Cadmanto

That's really odd.  Even the default part template out of the box has planes.  Did you delete them or are they just not turned on and you think you don't have any.

Plus out the "Ursrung" folder in your browser.  What is in there?  Can you provide an image of that folder?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 5 of 9
thburn
in reply to: Cadmanto

Hi Cadmanto,

I added the screenshot you asked for. But sorry, I think you misunderstand what I need.

If I use a baseplane or any other extra geometry to create the workplane I will get a workplane which is no longer perpendicular to the surface since the workplane will be a bridge between the surface and the extra geometry.

My task normally is very simple I need a workplane option where I can click onto any point of the surface and Inventor should create a workplane with the center at the clicked point and perpendicular to the surface.

I wonder why all workplane tools need a second or third point / line / plane to be created and tehre is no option 'perpedicular only'

Message 6 of 9
Cadmanto

No, I get what you are saying.  You do have base planes as per your last screen shot.

All I am saying is between those planes and the commands I showed you in my earlier screen shot,

you should be able to get something you are looking for.  Because those commands to add planes are all that are available.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 7 of 9
harco

This may or may not help you.

SURFACE WORKPLANE.jpg

Message 8 of 9
thburn
in reply to: harco

Hi harco,

this is exactly what I needed, many thanks!

Message 9 of 9
Cadmanto

You need to mark Harco's posting as the correct solution.  Not your response.  This way anyone in the future will know what actually solved this issue.  Smiley Happy

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report